PDA

View Full Version : Lowering my tablesaw

Jeremy Greiner
01-19-2011, 10:26 PM
I would love to lower my tablesaw height a good 6 inches.

This is my table saw it is a Jet Proshop the legs are just screwed in I'm hoping I can remove them and place the cabinet portion on a custom base.

I have drawn out a base in sketchup (Someone posted a public 3d model of the JPS-10 saw, well it was close enough) The red part is the inner box that the cabinet of the saw sits on. Made from 3/4 plywood. The outerbox would then be glued to the inner box to add extra support.

Shows how the whole thing slides together.

I would attach the sketchup file but it exceeds the file size allowed for sketchup files.

My question is if a plywood box such as this would be strong enough to hold the table saw. I'm still fairly new and unsure of the strength of a simple box like this. If this isn't strong enough are there any suggestions as to what I can build to place my saw on?

-jeremy

keith micinski
01-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Plywood box would be just fine. you might even incorporate a drawer underneath for storage of your tape measure, square, Wixey digital angle finder, Wixey digital blade height setter, pencil, batteries for all of your Wixey digital stuff, zero clearence insert and regular insert.

Jim Heffner
01-19-2011, 11:49 PM
If you do decide to make the plywood box arrangement, I think it would be in your best
interest to make it a torsion box for the base. It would be a lot stronger and distribute the
weight of the saw more evenly over the entire base.

johnny means
01-19-2011, 11:50 PM
My first table saw was a Craftsmen contractors saw which I put onto a plywood cabinet that I built for it. I did it to increase the height and add casters. Worked out fine and the guy who bought it off of me rolled the hole thing right out of my garage. I made my box the entire width of the saw, which increased the stability and gave me some under saw storage that rolled with the saw.

Rick Fisher
01-20-2011, 2:33 AM
Nothin more embarrasing than getting caught wearing 5" heels in the shop..

Not that there is anything wrong with that .. :)

Jeremy Greiner
01-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Nothin more embarrasing than getting caught wearing 5" heels in the shop..
But how else am I supposed to reach the top shelf?

David Thompson 27577
01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Go for it!

When I remodeled an area of my house to become the laundry room, my wife and I decided to treat ourselves to new, front-loading machines. And we really wanted those add-in bases that raise the machines to a more comfortable height.

But those bases cost more than $150 each! I knew that I could build a base that was probably stronger, probably as good-looking, and maybe more functional -- and do it for less than three bills!.

As I recall, I spent about $180, including the drawer slides and pulls. And about 5 years later, I still have no regrets.

My point is that, if I can build something that can take the shaking and vibrations of a front load washer, you should be able to do the same with your table saw.

Rick Potter
01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Looks like a good idea to me, but are you sure those legs are not structural? I am not familiar with that saw, but it kinda looks that way in the picture.

Rick Potter

Jeremy Greiner
01-20-2011, 1:09 PM
Looks like a good idea to me, but are you sure those legs are not structural? I am not familiar with that saw, but it kinda looks that way in the picture.

Rick Potter
The legs are only attached to the base, not to the top and the screws used to attach them aren't very large. I'd immagine if they where structural they're attachment would be a lot stronger.

-jeremy

Aaron Berk
01-20-2011, 2:34 PM
I think those legs would still play a roll in the rigidity of the structure as a whole.

I would think 2x before removing them "completely".
Is there internal bracing that reinforces those corners?

Could you remove them, cut em flush to the saw base, then reinstall?
This would be my course of action.

Jeremy Greiner
01-20-2011, 10:08 PM
I think those legs would still play a roll in the rigidity of the structure as a whole.
I'm not sure how they would, but then again that's why I asked here because I'm no expert on such things.

Is there internal bracing that reinforces those corners?
There is a bottom to the unit that encloses it .. holding all the sides together.
That's why I think the legs are just there to hold up the base unit.

Could you remove them, cut em flush to the saw base, then reinstall?
This would be my course of action.
I could, but I'm always fickle about resale value, but I'd rather make the tool mine than use it sub part in case some day I may sell it.

-jeremy