PDA

View Full Version : Are household scissors supposed to be used with three fingers and a thumb?

Stephen Tashiro
01-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Are household scissors supposed to be used with three fingers and a thumb?

I find the handle on most household or scissors to be small and cramped. On a typical pair, I can barely get three fingers through one side of the handle and my thumb through the other. Sometime when I try to let go of the scissors the handle sticks to my hand. The scissors sold as "sewing scissors" have the same problem.

It makes me wonder what problems people who wear rings or gloves have with scissors.

Lee Schierer
01-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Scissors seem to come in all forms these days and also seem to be sized for smaller hands. I have two pair in my shop, one fits me well and uses two fingers in one loop and the thumb in the other, the other pair uses one finger in a loop one next to it outside the loop and a thumb. LOML has sewing scissors that will fit her hands better than mine that are the same way. Some of the fit seems to be based on what you are willing to pay for the scissors. IME the more expensive ones seem to fit better than the cheap ones.

Jim Koepke
01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
They seem to work fine for me with just two fingers and a thumb.

For wire cutting scissors, just one finger is in the hole and the other hole is resting on the palm for production work. This only works for wire about 20ga. and smaller.

jtk

ray hampton
01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
they do make scissors with handle that will accept bigger hands/try tin snips

Stephen Tashiro
01-20-2011, 3:00 PM
try tin snips

Those are a bit unwieldy for cutting off the parts of bills that say "cut along dotted line", the dotted line that never matches the fold in the paper.