PDA

View Full Version : Micro Gloat!!

Dale Thompson
01-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Hey - don't laugh - this may happen to YOU!! :(

About a month ago, the LOML complained that the overhead light in our built-in micro-wave oven had gotten dim. This is the light that lights up the stove below, not the "internal" light. I took off the cover over the light(s) and saw that one of the two bulbs was "out". I went to unscrew the "bad" bulb and the whole system went out. The glass on the "bad" bulb was broken loose from the metal base. I also noticed that the glass was broken loose from the base on the "good" bulb.

Procrastinator that I am, I left the metal base in the "bad" socket. I also left the "working", though broken, bulb in the second socket. When I kicked the breaker back on, everything was OK - for about ten minutes. On my second cup of morning tea, the system went out again. This time it was not the breaker!! :eek: :mad: Checking the schematic, I saw that there was a 15A fuse somewhere in the oven. As luck would have it, I didn't have a 15A AGC but I had a 10A. IT WORKED!! - Until yesterday.

I replaced the fuse with a 15A and it blew in a couple of minutes. Another replacement blew the breaker.

Time to shop for a new micro-wave! EGADS!! You can get a countertop for $30. The built-ins that I picked up on the "net" start at about $500 and go up from there. OK - I said to myself, "Self, think about this for a while. You don't have any money and, being retired, you don't the time required to replace the oven!" :rolleyes: :eek: :D

I removed both "bases" and replaced the bulbs and fuse. Time will tell but I'm willing to bet that the problem is solved. I'm not sure about the reason for the problem but it must have been the disconnected base which heated up from the incredible heat of that other little bulb and somehow shorted out.

The only bummer is that those little red-hot bulbs cost me $4 each!! :eek: :eek: :D

Dale T.

Carl Eyman
01-11-2005, 11:29 PM
DALE:
Yes I'm shouting at you. You didn't tell us if it's working again. I've got a built in also, and if it goes out - disaster.

Charles McKinley
01-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Hi Dale,

I built a shelf to put my counter top mdel over the stove as there is very little counter space is my poorly designed kitchen. This my be a cheaper solution for you. I try to avoid a built in anything as by the time something happens to it the model has changed and the new one doesn't fit the old hole.

Wm Bauserman
01-12-2005, 8:25 AM
You don't have a built-in Whirlpool/Kenmore from around 2000/2001 timeframe do you? About 90% of these were recalled because of a fire hazard. Ours went up in flames while nothing but the timer was being used, luckily my wife was standing there and put it out without any problems.

Dale Thompson
01-12-2005, 11:06 AM
DALE:
Yes I'm shouting at you. You didn't tell us if it's working again. I've got a built in also, and if it goes out - disaster.

Carl,
Yes it's working and seems to be working great. I boiled away about two cups of water at power level 10 with no problem. I wanted to see the effect that a lot of moisture would have. I think the problem is solved. I also think it had something to do with that broken off base on the one builb or the loose glass on the bulb that DID work. MAN those little 40W bulbs get HOT - and they get hot immediately. That's why they may be a source of problems with these ovens.

Carl, I hope yours NEVER goes out! :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
01-12-2005, 11:10 AM
You don't have a built-in Whirlpool/Kenmore from around 2000/2001 timeframe do you? About 90% of these were recalled because of a fire hazard. Ours went up in flames while nothing but the timer was being used, luckily my wife was standing there and put it out without any problems.

Wm,
Mine is a Whirlpool but dated as being manufactured in 1993 although my house is only ten years old. Thanks for the heads-up but I don't think that I fall within the recall period. :eek: :)

Dale T.

Wm Bauserman
01-12-2005, 1:44 PM
Wm,
Mine is a Whirlpool but dated as being manufactured in 1993 although my house is only ten years old. Thanks for the heads-up but I don't think that I fall within the recall period. :eek: :)

Dale T.
You're good to go. I checked out the CPSC web site and the recall covered 1.8 million units built between 1/98 and 9/01.

Congrats on the repair.

Robert Cox
01-12-2005, 3:22 PM
Repairclinic.com

I had to replace some esoteric parts. Estimates started at $90 to fix it.

I had to add a multimeter to my parts order to get to the minumum order and fixed it fine.