PDA

View Full Version : SawStop triggered - need to repair Freud Super Dado Blades

Alan Lightstone
01-19-2011, 8:02 PM
Do you know if it is possible to repair Freud Super Dado Blades. For whatever reason I can't determine, my SawStop triggered and the blade hit/jammed into the brake as intended by the safety mechanism.

I can only find one gouge through one blade parallel to the axis of rotation, and other tooth that needs minor repair. The chippers appear unfazed.

Is this fixable. If so, who does this sort of thing? Anyone know of any blade repair/sharpening shops in the Clearwater / St Petersburg FL area.

Thanks.

Rob Vicelli
01-19-2011, 9:02 PM
Can't help with the blade but I think you can contact Sawstop if you think the brake fire for no reason...

Alan Lightstone
01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Sawstop was quite nice and they will be analyzing the blade for data. My bigger immediate issue is that I need to get the dado blade repaired (if possible) as I am in mid project.

Joe Jensen
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I had to have my Forrest dado set repaired when I dropped two chippers to the concrete floor. They replaced the broken teeth and reground all blades and chippers to the same diameter. Worked fine.

I also triggered the brake when I had a sawstop (my fault, cutting metal foil and forgot to disable the brake one time). I sent the blade back to Forrest with a note saying the sawstop brake fired. There were 3 broken/chipped teeth and Forrest checked the plate, repaired the blade, and sharpened for like $30.

Alan Lightstone
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I wonder if Freud will be as good about it as Forrest was.

mreza Salav
01-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I once triggered my SS on my Freud Fusion blade and ate 4-5 teeth of it. Took it to the sharpening shop we have in town, they welded new carbide teeth and reground/sharpened all for
$34. Works as good as new. Don't know about a dado blade but should be easier.

Van Huskey
01-19-2011, 10:39 PM
A sharpener will just have to look at it. More than likely it is fixable BUT there is a small chance it is trashed but a good sharpener will be able to tell very quickly.

johnny means
01-19-2011, 10:41 PM
have you tested it to see how it cuts yet. I have no problem running cutters with minor chips and such, saw blades are usually pretty redundant.

Alan Lightstone
01-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Haven't tried them yet as I don't have a replacement cartridge yet. I'll try tomorrow.

mreza Salav
01-19-2011, 11:02 PM
be careful and check the teeth before putting it back on. You don't have to have anything that has been loose to come of the blade at 5000rpm or so!!

Kevin W Johnson
01-20-2011, 2:06 AM
be careful and check the teeth before putting it back on. You don't have to have anything that has been loose to come of the blade at 5000rpm or so!!

Yeah, that was my first thought. A cracked tooth flying off.......

Alan Lightstone
01-20-2011, 5:53 AM
Yeah, I was concerned about a cracked tooth too. I found a sharpening shop on Freud's recommended list in my home town, so I'll call them later and have them look at the blades.