PDA

View Full Version : Forever stamps

John Coloccia
01-19-2011, 7:20 PM
Why do people ever ever ever buy anything but Forever stamps?? We're paying bills, with our Forever stamps of course, and it occurs to us that everywhere I look there are non-Forever stamps...let's call them temporary stamps. Why does anyone buy temporary stamps when you can simply buy a forever stamp?

Now, if you're weighing your postage because you stand to save lots of money by weighing your postage (presumably, you have a lot of postage), why do you use stamps and not the printed stamp label thingies?

So in conclusion, I see no reason for to ever buy anything but a forever stamp, should you buy a stamp.

Discuss.

Rick Moyer
01-19-2011, 7:34 PM
Because my wife has to have the "pretty" ones or "interesting" ones :rolleyes:.

Good point though. I often thought we should be buying a few years worth of the forever, as you put it, stamps since postage goes up often.

Jerry Bruette
01-19-2011, 10:19 PM
No need t convince me John...my wife on the other hand doesn't quite grasp the idea.

Connie Gill
01-19-2011, 11:06 PM
The true question gentlemen should be "why is there anything but Forever stamps????

Garrett Ellis
01-19-2011, 11:36 PM
The true question gentlemen should be "why is there anything but Forever stamps????

To take advantage of those that are actually buying the "regular" stamps!

Dave Lehnert
01-20-2011, 12:06 AM
I like the forever stamps. Before them, they just printed temp stamps with no $$$ amount on them. I have a bunch of stamps I have no idea what the $$$ value is.

Bryan Morgan
01-20-2011, 1:25 AM
Why do people ever ever ever buy anything but Forever stamps?? We're paying bills, with our Forever stamps of course, and it occurs to us that everywhere I look there are non-Forever stamps...let's call them temporary stamps. Why does anyone buy temporary stamps when you can simply buy a forever stamp?

Now, if you're weighing your postage because you stand to save lots of money by weighing your postage (presumably, you have a lot of postage), why do you use stamps and not the printed stamp label thingies?

So in conclusion, I see no reason for to ever buy anything but a forever stamp, should you buy a stamp.

Discuss.

Agreed. Unless you happen to have access to a postage machine at your workplace and they don't care if you use it from time to time. :)

Van Huskey
01-20-2011, 1:55 AM
Because my wife has to have the "pretty" ones or "interesting" ones :rolleyes:.

That and collectors etc etc.

Even though I deal with postage every day, I honestly don't know what a first class letter costs, forever stamps are the best thing since sliced bread for me.

Dan Hintz
01-20-2011, 6:44 AM
I'm a collector, and the forever stamps are cutting into my hobby (as if I had time for it). I was really upset when they started moving away from the lick-ems to the stick-ems.

Lee Schierer
01-20-2011, 11:14 AM
I guess it depends on how often you use stamps. If I go to the postal window, they will sometimes use the meter printed stamps or will use the printed stamps with values on them. If I regularly mailed things Then I would see no problem with buying a book or sheet of printed values stamps. On the other hand if I don't know when the next time I will need to mail a letter will be, the forever stamp would be the way I would go.

Matt Meiser
01-20-2011, 11:49 AM
You guys still use stamps?

Jim Koepke
01-20-2011, 12:04 PM
When postage was 41¢, we bought a roll of stamps. Since then all but a couple of our regular bills can be paid on line.

I was thinking of taking them down to the post office to see if they could be traded in. Haven't had a need to go in.

When ever stamps are mentioned, it always reminds me of a coin shop I would occasionally find my self visiting. They were a stamp and coin dealer but wanted out of the stamp business. One time in an attempt to get people to stop bringing in old postage stamps they ran ads saying that uncanceled stamps would be purchased at half face value. Their hopes were dashed by lines of people who came in wanting to sell their old stamps. The fun part of this is for the longest time some of their non-bulk mail would use these stamps. My next door neighbor at the time was tickled to get a couple of "Southern Civil War Veterans" stamps when I got a couple on a letter from them.

I have a few stamps in with my coin collection, but only have a little interest in either these days.

jtk

Will Boulware
01-20-2011, 12:45 PM

My sentiments exactly! The last thing I mailed in was a parking ticket, and that was over a year ago.

Eric DeSilva
01-20-2011, 1:06 PM

What are these "stamps" you speak of?

Dan Hintz
01-20-2011, 1:16 PM
I kept stamping my woodwork, as I hear other woodworkers do, but the postman keeps taking the pieces away.

Ben Hatcher
01-20-2011, 2:07 PM

Exactly. I think I've used 2 stamps in the past year. I pay bills online and get billed online. I wouldn't be too broken up if mail was only delivered once a week. If I could pick the day, I'd say the day before the recycling is collected since almost all of my current mail goes right into the recycling bin anyway.

Rob Bodenschatz
01-20-2011, 4:18 PM

Christmas & birthday cards.

Brian Elfert
01-20-2011, 8:41 PM
The USPS announced at the end of December that all future 1st class stamps would be forever stamps. No more issues with having to find 1 or 2 cent stamps when the price of postage goes up.

Bryan Morgan
01-21-2011, 12:12 AM

Heck yeah! I want PAPER! Documentation. I work with these newfangled computers all day. I trust em about as much as I can throw a full rack of servers. :)

Dan Hintz
01-21-2011, 7:14 AM
Heck yeah! I want PAPER! Documentation. I work with these newfangled computers all day. I trust em about as much as I can throw a full rack of servers. :)
Exactly! The wife does all of her (and "our") bills via electronic methods. Everytime we have a billing issue (and there have been quite a few), it's a hassle and a half. Sometimes, their servers are down and we can't even view the bill! Every bill that's MINE (and luckily not too many exist) is paper.