PDA

View Full Version : My Lathe or What can you tell me about it?

Jim Dunn
01-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Since I post on the power side mostly thought I'd post these pictures of my lathe. Not much by some standards but probably more length and diameter than I'll ever need.;)

Don't have a chuck for it, yet. Nor do I plan to purchase a duplicator. It's just one more tool for the basement shop.:rolleyes:

I did have to completely rebuild it when I purchased it. New bearings, belt and I also built a cabinet to put it on. It still need wheels as this thing is heavy. Bottom has a cavity to fill with sand or lead for more weight.

Well that's about it for my lathe. I can tell you that this hand held lathe tool turning is something that is confusing to me. Being a rebuilt, not retired, tool room machinist I've ran lathes from as small as 10" to 72" gap bead swing but never held a tool in my hand to turn anything. Consequently, believe it or not, it scares me.:o Not much but just enough to make it not something I feel like I have to master today.

Mark Stutz
01-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Jim,
As a new turner, I understand your healthy fear of putting gouge to wood. The best advice I can give you is....GET YOURSELF TO WOODCRAFT FOR ONE OF THEIR WEEKEND TURNING CLASSES! I did it about a year ago...never had held a gouge and didn't own a lathe. It was a great start with hands on learning. I highly recommend it.

Mark

Steve Stube
01-12-2005, 2:14 AM
I don't think you will be buying a vacuum chucker for it either (no thru hole in the spindle is there?) but I sure do like old iron and you have a very nice specimen there. The bench looks fine and sturdy, certainly up to the job you have for it.

Don't be afraid, remember to keep the leverage advantage on your side of the rest. Easy for me to say - I had a woodshop teacher show me some 45 years ago how to wood turn in high school.

Jim Dunn
01-12-2005, 8:12 AM
Steve,

There does happen to be a hole thru the spindle. I just wish it was larger, the morse taper is #1. Thats pretty small:(

Mark,

My wife and I just may have to make that trip to woodcraft after all. By the way Mark were just down the street from you out by 6 Flaggs:)

Ted Shrader
01-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Jim -

Definitely get yourself hooked up with a course or two on the use/techniques required. There most likely is an AAW chapter not too far away that can steer you in the right direction. Some action come naturally, but others must be learned. It is easier to learn them correctly than to have to unlearn them later. "Old dog, new trick . . . " thing.

Ted