PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander Decision

Paul Steiner
01-19-2011, 6:21 PM
At my school I have to spend $500 prior to March 1. I think I am going to get a drum sander for my shop and I am considering the following:
1. Grizzly's new unit: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Drum-Sander/G0716
It is in my budget and requires no fabrication. I like the ability to do long boards and super thin stock. But I worry about the easy of use for students and by that I mean a student sending something through and burning up the paper. Right now for the planer I set the cut and the students feed stock through, it would probably have to be the same way for this sander.

2. V-drum sander:http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders.html?cat=40
A 24" or 30" is in my budget. I have read that this is very easy for students to use and there is little chance they will burn up the paper. I like the idea of having 12" of 100 grit and another 12" of 180 grit. But it does require fabrication, I have a motor for it. Also I can see how this will limit the length of projects you can sand and thin stock is difficult to do.
I can't decide, the one thing I am sure of is I hate sanding.
Let me know your thoughts!

Van Huskey
01-19-2011, 6:25 PM
The first thing to note is they are machines with 2 separate functions and it might be best to determine which is most suitable for your students needs.

CPeter James
01-19-2011, 6:42 PM
I have a General 15-250 and I love it. that said, for your use I would recommend the unit from Stockroom Supply. The General type units have a steep and expensive learning curve with burned and torn paper. The Stockroom Supply unit is easy to use and very versatile and I think more to what students could learn to use.

CPeter

Paul Steiner
01-20-2011, 8:55 AM
Maybe it would help if you knew our needs.
Here is a list of projects students built in my class in the past few years. These are class projects where everyone builds the same project. 24" stools, ADR chairs, boomerangs, torpedo levels, candy dispensers, tool boxes.
I build many different things, but it is alot of casework: cabinets, face frames, bookcases, shelves for the school and picture frames, etc. I am starting to get into inlay for hardwood floors.
The goal is to make things smooth and reduce sanding time. I rarely need veneer, but having the ability to make it would be nice and I am sure I would use it more.

Van Huskey
01-20-2011, 9:05 AM
Sounds like your students would get a lot of use out of the V-drum, you on the other hand could use a drum sander. If I were you I would get the V-drum and wait for a budget time I could get a more substantial drum sander.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM
My $0.02. For students, I would not get a drum sander. They are not planers, and require much time and patience to obtain desired results. (neither of which students in general have) As mentioned, it would probably be a costly learning curve, and with new students, a recurring learning curve.

Mark A Johnson
01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
I have had the Performax 10/20 now for close to 6 years. As long as you work with in the parameters of what its designed for, they work great. It has thermal protection so if your students abuse it, the unit shuts down. While it isn't a planer on highly figured wood, with the right paper you can dimension wood.

As for sand paper, if you buy uncut rolls you'll save a bundle. I'm not sure of how the paper is held on the Grizzly, on the Performax it takes a bit of time before your comfortable.