PDA

View Full Version : Interesting contour/detail sinding technique

Van Huskey
01-19-2011, 5:46 PM
I was watching some reruns of Woodsculpting I recorded off DIY (heah it is wood) and one guy used a technique to sand his Native American busts and although it may be a technique well known to carvers, and others, it is new to me. He took a piece of scotchbrite and cut it down to small squares and attached 2 of them to his Foredom (flex shaft rotary tool) using what looked to be the arbor from a cutoff disc. Given the different grades of Scotchbrite available and its low cost this may be something that would be a cost effective alternative to sanding mops etc. The only issue for a larger setup would be speed and durability. Will the lower speeds of a buffer for instance "cut" quickly enough to be useful and how well will larger pieces remain intact when spun up. If nothing else I have a couple of cheap Foredom knockoffs and they will certainly work on small scale stuff.

Forgive me if this is a well known technique, it wouldn't be the first time that a cheap/easy way to do something had eluded me for years!