PDA

View Full Version : Camera for wood turning???????

joel nucifore
01-19-2011, 11:01 AM
I have been following the thread on" PHOTOGRAPHING YOUR WORK" and took alot of notes. And pricing some stuff out now.

But my question is which camera would you recommend someone to get.. Taxs just came back and going to get a new toy.... lets give the set up a price range of $1000 for all I need....On a camera I will not grow out of......:D

Thank you in advance..
JOEL

Ken Hill
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Are you wanting a DSLR or more of a quality Point and shoot?

Richard Galloway
01-19-2011, 11:32 AM
With that price range, and the need to not grow out of it... get a good quality DSLR. I prefer Nikon, ;) but that is just personal preference. The Nikon N-90 will fit your needs perfectly and at a later date you can add new lens to the line up for other types of photography. There are many good point-n-shoot cameras out there, but if you get one and it is not quite what you want, you have to get a different one. With a DSLR you can simply get a different lens (wide angle, macro, zoom, etc.) and use it on the same camera body. As has been covered in the photo thread, get a good quality tripod as well... do not get a cheap one from a discount store, go to a camera store and get a Heavy model with a good head that will not move. If you can look though the camera while holding it on the tripod and see either your breathing or heartbeat make the image move, it's not heavy enough. :rolleyes: Good luck in your search and let us know what you finally purchase.

Dan Hintz
01-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm not a fanboy of any one brand, but I've always found what I wanted/needed in Canon, from their point-and-shoots to their DSLRs. Last year I picked up a Rebel T2i with the stock lens kit for $900 (body only for $800)... you might see it on sale from time to time for $850. At some point I'll pick up a macro lens and a longer FL lens. The stock lens kit is all you will ever need for photographing your work, but the option is always there to go bigger, if needed.

If you have been reading the other thread, then you know of Magic Lantern, which sweetens the deal even more towards Canon, especially the T2i.

Scott Hackler
01-19-2011, 12:18 PM
I never had a really nice DSLR type camera prior to last years purchase, so I bought tha Canon T2i because it was the latest greatest and the reviews came back very positive. I am only using a 1/10th of the capacity of this camera and it amazes me with the pictures I can take even with it in full automatic mode! I have just now started to experiment through blind luck, with the manual and the other modes. It is a little intimidating, but I have done a little reading for photography tips that have helped move me in the right direction. I don't think that the "layman" could easily out grow this camera and there are a whole slew of lenses available. I dont own any of the "L" series lenses (the best ones the Canon makes) but the entry level lenses I have produce really nice results.

Best Buy and the like have this camera on sale often. I bought mine when the T2i first came out and the "package" with camera and 2 lenses was about $1100 for me. Now the same deal is closer to $800-$850.

I dont have any experience with other brands. Hope this helps.

Eric DeSilva
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
It sounds like you are out of the P&S category, but that still leaves the new micro 4/3rds cameras in addition to full blown dSLRs. In the latter category, I've always been partial to Nikons (right now I have a D700, D200 and F5), even though I shot Canons for a period. When you spend that much, a lot of it becomes about personal feel and the way you interact with the controls and how well it feels in your hands.

The 4/3rds category is very interesting at the moment--smaller form factor, still large CCDs, dSLR-like controls, interchangeable lenses... If I was starting from zero, I'd probably be seriously looking the Lumix GF series and the Sony NEXs. In fact, I've got one friend--spent his life shooting large format cameras and has an MFA in photography--who refused to go digital until he saw the prints from a Lumix.

But trust me... No matter what you buy, at some point you will feel like you've outgrown it. ;)

joel nucifore
01-19-2011, 2:37 PM
I have been following the "PHOTOGRAPHING YOUR WORK" and have taken alot of notes.
but my question is what camera would you recomend for taking pics. I am in no rush but figure I would buy a toy with my tax return.

I see alot on Craigslist and might get a deal since I have the time, lets say $1000 as my limit to do a complete set up.... as a price range less if I can:confused:

Thank you in advance for your time
Joel

Damon Stathatos
01-19-2011, 3:13 PM
Joel:

You can buy equipment with more than you'll ever need for way under that amount if you stay away from the current iterations and look two to three generations ago, which in this lightning-society means only a few years old.

My last camera purchase was a Nikon D300 and up to that point I always wanted the newer models as they came out. Once they added video to the still cameras, my desire to move onto the new ones ceased and now I am not only content but feel fortunate that I have one of the older ones without the video capabilities. Just because that, in a sense, the two mediums (still and video) are related, they are still completely different mediums with different purposes and require completely different skill sets. I always figured that if I wanted to take up video again (a slim prospect, it's nearly impossible to create a video that someone other than yourself will sit through, filming the backs of people etc), I'd just go out and dust off the OLD video iteration that I have in the cupboard somewhere.

If you're really interested, you should research Nikon and Canon DSLR's, again, a couple of generations old. Even more 'key,' spend your money on good glass (a good lens) and then a stable tripod, learn some sort of editing software, and you're set. Spend some time researching the capabilities of your camera (it'll have everything you need and then some), experiment until your results begin to improve, and then 'click away.' Be careful though because photography has a vortex all it's own and you may run the risk of a dusty lathe at some point.

A very good used outlet is B&H Photo in NYC.

Best to you on your burgeoning quest.

John Keeton
01-19-2011, 3:13 PM
Joel, there are some phenomenal photographers on the creek, and if you have been following that thread, you have seen some of their work. Photography can quickly become a subvortex, and suffice it to say that quality pics can be taken with a camera that costs far less than $1,000. That is not to say, however, that BETTER pics do not require a better camera.

I have a relatively inexpensive Fuji that I use - as I recall about $235. For my purposes, it does fine. My pics are not anywhere near the quality of the stuff done by Ken Hill, Bill Huber, and some of the other guys. So, obviously, equipment makes a huge difference. But, my camera fufills my needs.

IMO, you do want something more than a "point and shoot" so that you can have a manual mode, aperature mode, shutter mode, and a timed exposure. There are a lot of camera's that will do that without getting into the DSLR category.

But, if photography is as much fun for you as turning, then that is another situation!!:D

joel nucifore
01-19-2011, 3:48 PM
Thanks DAMON AND JOHN
every thing I like is a VORTEX it is somthing I have wanted to get into for a long time and, Damon what GLASS as you put it would you recommend someone to get, this camera is not only for wood turning but family and vacation etc... But at the same time do not want to be the guy walking the beach with a 50 lbs apperatice around my neck..

Dan Hintz
01-19-2011, 3:52 PM
Didn't you post this exact question earlier today? Possibly in another forum? There were plenty of answers in that thread...

John Keeton
01-19-2011, 4:06 PM
Dan, glad I am not the only one with this thought? It was like deja vu all over again!! I finally concluded I had dreamed it.

Bill Huber
01-19-2011, 4:14 PM
There are 3 main ways to go.
1. Point and Shoot, cheap
2. Prosumer, mid price
3. DSLR, higher cost.

I think point and shoot is out from what you are saying.

The next would be the Prosumer cameras. A good one to look at right now is the Canon Powershot G12 for $500. The main difference between a Prosumer and a DSLR is the Prosumer has no interchangeable lens. There are many other difference but the big one is the lens. The Canon has 28-140mm (equivalent), this would give you a good range from wide angle to a telephoto and it is made right on the camera. The are much smaller and lighter then the larger DSLRs.

Then we go to the DSLRs, they have interchangeable lenses, now this is were the sucking sound starts. You buy the camera with a kit lens and you find you want something wider so you have to go buy a 28mm, that works great for those wide angel shots. But I want to get up close to that thing way over there so I guess I need to get a telephoto lens. By now you have stated to wrap up a lot of money in lenses.

So bottom line I would say look for a Prosumer camera and start there, you don't have to buy a bunch of lenses and you have a camera that will do a very good job. Then later on if you really feel you like shooting and want to move up you will have a better idea of what you want in a camera.

A very good place to go and check out cameras is DPReview. They have a place you can compare cameras side by side and they also have forums you can go read a see what others are saying about a given camera. http://www.dpreview.com/

Just because I talked about the Canon I am not telling you that it is the camera to buy, there are tons of very good Prosumer cameras out there, just do some reading and compare different ones.

Dan Forman
01-19-2011, 4:39 PM
One thing to make sure is that it features the full range of lens apertures. Mine only goes to f8, so I can't get an entire object into focus because of the narrow depth of field.

Dan

Greg Portland
01-19-2011, 4:57 PM
Go spend a large chunk of that on photography lessons; a decent photographer can take jaw dropping photos with a $150 P&S. IMO, you will need a white background, a black background and some powerful directional lighting (doesn't have to be a flash). You will also want a decent tripod & a camera with manual settings & a timer or remote (no shaking the camera body when pushing the shutter release).

IMO you will be better off with some lessons, a $200 tripod, a $400 camera, some DIY backgrounds (JoAnns fabrics) and some halogen lights on stands (can color correct in photo software) versus running out and spending your entire budget on a camera + lens.

Ken Hill
01-19-2011, 5:04 PM
LOL..I was wondering what happened, I geuss the site hiccuped!

I would only echo what Bill has posted, especially about the G12! And Canon does have a better consumer market then all others IMO. They are quality on par with anything out there, they are cheaper the Nikon, the lenses are cheaper then Nikon as well so future expansion would be "slightly" less painfull. The new Nikon D7000 has promise, and at $1200 its got a touch more horses under teh hood then the Canon but its more expensive and so are the lenses.....man I dont sound like a Nikon Pro shooter much anymore haha!

joel nucifore
01-19-2011, 6:22 PM
I thought I did but when I came back did not see it SORRY for that, thought I deleated it or somthing, Not sure what I did...
going to look for it now..
only really go to the turner section ????????????? but was at work must of hit somthing else instead.......

John Keeton
01-19-2011, 6:34 PM
Joel, it got moved to Off Topic as the title did not specify "turning." I merged the two threads, so all posts are here in this thread now.

We weren't imagining it after all!!

joel nucifore
01-19-2011, 6:39 PM
I want to thank you all, alot of stuff for me to look at now. Never really had a nice camera and as i read this the VORTEX spins....

Aaron Kitchell
01-19-2011, 6:47 PM
I've been a photographer for about 12 years and have a couple of general rules that are good to follow. First, the largest factor contributing to quality pictures is the quality of the lens and not the quality of the camera body. With that said, it doesn't equate to purchasing an extremely low end camera body and extremely high end lenses. However, you should aim to spend about 1/3 on the body and 2/3 on the lenses.

Eric DeSilva
01-19-2011, 6:50 PM
I may be reading Greg's comment too literally, but I wouldn't spend a lot on lessons. Sure, take a intro to photography or intro to digital photography course for $50 at your local community arts center. But beyond that... You'll get better mileage just shooting for a while and reading up on the web. Anything beyond your basic intro class is going to assume familiarity with dSLR functionality. $200 for a tripod for a beginner also seems like overkill. I see Bogen tripods offered for less than than on my local craigslist. You can buy a decent 'pod for under $50 that will certainly bridge you to finding a more serious one when you finally figure out what you want. If you are just shooting in a light box, you can probably even bodge something up with a 1/4-20 screw.

Dan Hintz
01-20-2011, 7:31 AM
I got a mini tripod (6" high?) with my $40 eBay photo tent purchase... it's nothing special, but it works for what I use it for. Not to mention a tripod isn't really a necessity... I take plenty of great photos without one.

The following two photos were taken outside, camera held in hand, with nothing more than a piece of white drawing paper as a backdrop. No photo editing other than a crop (and possibly color adjustment, can't remember). I wouldn't call them magazine quality, but I spent no more than a couple of minutes on them and didn't use any special equipment other than my T2i.

Greg Portland
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I may be reading Greg's comment too literally, but I wouldn't spend a lot on lessons. Sure, take a intro to photography or intro to digital photography course for $50 at your local community arts center. But beyond that... You'll get better mileage just shooting for a while and reading up on the web. Anything beyond your basic intro class is going to assume familiarity with dSLR functionality. $200 for a tripod for a beginner also seems like overkill. I see Bogen tripods offered for less than than on my local craigslist. You can buy a decent 'pod for under $50 that will certainly bridge you to finding a more serious one when you finally figure out what you want. If you are just shooting in a light box, you can probably even bodge something up with a 1/4-20 screw.Eric, we're on the same page. Typically with these kinds of threads everyone is going to recommend the latest and greatest piece of camera hardware for the entire stated budget. IMO this will not yield optimal photos. Lighting, tripods, lenses, & an understanding of photography (and software!) are also critical parts of the equation. That's all I'm trying to point out...