PDA

View Full Version : Block Plane Fettling Question

Joel Goodman
01-19-2011, 1:34 PM
After flattening the sole of a block plane the leading (front) edge of the bed (or I guess you could call it the back or the mouth?) is quite sharp. Is there any reason not to ease the edge? And if so, hit it with an auger file, or ??

Thanks for the help!

David Weaver
01-19-2011, 1:59 PM
No practical reason not to.

I would ease it with light sandpaper and do as little to it as possible, but on a block plane it's really not critical no matter what you use.

Joel Goodman
01-19-2011, 2:08 PM
That sounds better than a file. I'm worried about creating a burr on the bed or sole -- is that a concern?

David Weaver
01-19-2011, 2:11 PM
Not as long as if you file, you do it from the sole inward and leave anything that may exist burr-wise in a non-critcal spot. If you file from the inside out, you might have a small burr, but not sure of that since cast is pretty fragile and doesn't make stringy stuff like mild steel.

Dan Andrews
01-19-2011, 2:30 PM
I would make sure that when I eased the sharp edge that I did not create any bevel whatsoever on the iron side of the mouth. Just a place to catch shavings or splinters. In fact just a microsopic bevel on the sole side of the edge might be a slight plus. By the way, what is the problem with leaving the edge sharp?

Joel Goodman
01-19-2011, 2:35 PM
By the way, what is the problem with leaving the edge sharp?

No functional issue. Just seemed that a non cutting edge should be eased -- not sure why!

Jim Koepke
01-19-2011, 7:39 PM
I would ease the edge just to get a little relief angle on the underside of the blade.

Here are a couple of posts about fettling low angle block planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?60970-Block-Plane-Selection-and-Rehabilitation

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?123401-Fettle-to-the-Metal-With-LA-Blocks&p=1246005

It probably isn't much different than standard angle block planes. There is only one standard angle block plane, a Stanley #102, in my shop and it is likely the cheapest acquisition in my accumulation of planes.

jtk