PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my oscilating sander

Roy Purves
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a RIDGID oscilating sander. For years I have only used the belt sanding portion of the sander but now I finally have a need to use the sanding drums, and God help me, I can't remove the belt sanding assembly. I followed the instruction booklet to a "t" and removed the spindle screw. At this point the belt assembly should simply lift off, but mine will only lift up an inch or so. I have tried everything I can think of: turning in reverse, tapping with a mallet, penetrating oil, "tapping" with a sledge hammer, all to no avail. The only bloggers advise I haven't tried is "dropping the damn thing", which I have to admit, I briefly considered. In reality however, for years it has served me well. I consider it to be a fine and useful tool so I would be quite grateful for any and all constructive advise.
Thanks in advance
Roy

Clarence Miller
01-19-2011, 1:26 PM
this is on an extreme end but it does work with haybaler bearings. Get enough dry ice to surround the assembly. This will cause both the spindle and the shaft a couple thousanths. If you have to tap it abit while it is do so very lightly, at those temps things break pretty easily. Where gloves and do it outside if possible. Heck if you are in NW IA you may not even need the dry ice if you set it outside for a couple hours today.

Greg Portland
01-19-2011, 5:44 PM
Which side seems to be binding up (screw side or drive side)? Have you tried compressed air? I wonder if some sawdust is wedging something in place. Maybe lift it up and down while blowing it out with compressed air could help?

Roy Purves
01-20-2011, 3:31 PM
Greg,
Thanks for your reply. The sanding assembly is only attached on one side, the drive side. I did try the compressed air tip, and I have to tell you, I am now the proud owner of the cleanest sander and filthest glasses and hair in town, but the sanding assembly is still stuck! I really do appreciate your trying to help however. You WERE trying to help, right!!
Thanks,
Roy

Jon McElwain
01-20-2011, 4:31 PM
I went out and pulled the belt assembly off my Rigid sander yesterday after reading your post. I have not left one or the other sanding assembly on for more that a few months at a time. I was looking on the spindle to see if there were any wear marks, but I could not see any. Although, my machine has not seen heavy use.

Inside the belt assembly there is an upper bearing and a lower bearing. Each one is about an inch high - probably the same height as you are able to raise the belt assembly on your machine before it gets stuck. I am guessing that the spindle has worn a grove with a ridge or something that is causing it to catch on the bearing. Mine slides off easily, but I can see that with some heavy pressure against the sanding surface, and thereby the bearing against the spindle, that it would be easy to wear it enough to cause a catch. Not sure the best non destructive way to get the belt off. It might be worth looking into a replacement belt assembly If a replacement were available, you could break the one that is stuck off, clean up the spindle and be on your way.

Good luck, and let us know what bridge you drop the thing off if all else fails!

David H Parker
01-20-2011, 5:01 PM
I would check to see if there is a local Ridgid service center. I have a sander just like it and have never had the same problem, heck, I used to sell them when I worked for HD. Anyway, Ridgid products have a lifetime warranty, the only sticking point is that they demand your original receipt. Hope this helps.

David

Brian Penning
01-20-2011, 5:23 PM
Dunno if it's much help but just had a similar post a few days ago. Just about need 2 guys to get it off. 1 to hold the assembly and the other to bang down on the table.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157017-Ridgid-oscillating-sander-problem...cannot-remove-belt-assembly.-PLEASE-HELP! (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157017-Ridgid-oscillating-sander-problem...cannot-remove-belt-assembly.-PLEASE-HELP%21)

Carl Carew
01-20-2011, 6:17 PM
I had one of these about 7 or 8 years ago and I had the same problem...We rinally used two people as mentioned above, one to hold it by the sander portion and the other to whack the sander itself with a rubber mallet...just dont hold it to high over the workbench .. check also I can't remember for sure but is there a lever that you move to release it
by the way I wound up eventually replacing it with a delta which I like better but Ibelive I was able to transfer some of the drums over from the rigid.

Good luck

Scott Kuykendall
01-21-2011, 7:17 AM
You might want to try using some penetrating oil on the shaft and keep doing it several times for a few days to let if soak all the way down the shaft. You can also try running it with the nut removed and see if it will work its self loose by it self. After you do get it loose you might want to apply a small amount of anti seize in the shaft to keep it from doing it again.
Scott

Clarence Miller
01-21-2011, 7:43 PM
"You can also try running it with the nut removed and see if it will work its self loose by it self" I like this method

glenn bradley
01-21-2011, 7:59 PM
That shaft is completely smooth so I too would go with a high quality penetrating oil over several days. There's just not much room for anything to get in there unless your area is prone to rust and that has gotten it frozen.