PDA

View Full Version : Panel Cart and wall lumber rack

Jonathan Spool
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Heres a few pics of a couple projects I've worked on in my new shop.
First is a closeup of the lumber rack. The wall was framed with 4x4s which were pre drilled to accept 3/4 galvy pipe. The wall was then sheathed with 1/2" sheeting and the holes were opened with a router flush bit. Very stout and adjustable.

Next couple of shots is of a panel cart on casters. Base is lapped 2x6s, bottom is 3/4 HDO, and the tubing is 1.5" exaust pipe bent for me at the local exaust shop.
Tubing has been painted, and I'll probably wrap the base with some hardwood to protect the sheets from the sharp edge of the HDO.
Note: Even though the casters are 5" swivel, the loaded cart does not move around as easy as I had hoped, but once the casters are lined up it goes OK.

178848178849 178850

Justin Freund
01-19-2011, 4:27 PM
I like the cart though I don't think I could bear to give up that much floor space.

glenn bradley
01-19-2011, 7:00 PM
I like the cart though I don't think I could bear to give up that much floor space.

Depends how much sheet material you use ;-) I have mine, on end in a 50" deep slot about 14" wide; always been more than enough room. Not so for a lot of folks though.

Jim Andrew
01-20-2011, 4:36 AM
I had a similar idea, as getting a delivery of plywood from Liberty hardwood really should require a forklift, I just carried the stuff inside by myself. Truck driver pushed out of truck to me. So I set up a plywood rack inside my garage door, so just open the door and slide the ply onto the rack, and built a cart about 1/2" taller than my tablesaw so I just slide it out of the rack onto the top of the cart and roll to the tablesaw to cut to size. 3/4" plywood is hard for me to handle by myself, but this way makes it work for me.

Jonathan Spool
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I have no shortage of floor space in my shop, and the way I keep the sheets on my cart allow me to slide a sheet directly from the cart onto my panel saw. Now days its all about the back!

Bob Winkler
01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
The cart and rack are great, but the floor is STUNNING! Is it real wood or laminate? What did you use for subfloor?

Bob

George Bregar
01-20-2011, 12:36 PM
I just have one of those orange carts like you see at Home Depot. Smaller footprint and holds boards too.

Aaron Berk
01-20-2011, 3:18 PM
The cart and rack are great, but the floor is STUNNING! Is it real wood or laminate? What did you use for subfloor?

Bob

Yeah no kidding................... wheres the shop tour pics at?

Jonathan Spool
01-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Floor is 12mm class 5 laminate layed on top of Delta FL. The new shop is still in dis-array with all the stuff from the old shop strewn around. I'm happy to post pics once I get it somewhat organized!

Steve knight
01-21-2011, 1:34 AM
I have two. the tilt cart takes up a lot of room and it is hard to get by the cars. so I made the tall skinny one for a few sheets and ease of use.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/shop%20tools/sheetcart7_resize.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/shop%20tools/sheetcart6_resize.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/shop%20tools/IMG_0349.jpg

glenn bradley
01-21-2011, 9:38 AM
I forgot to mention; very cool how the wall rack just appears out of the wall. Nice job on all of that.

glen pickren
01-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Note: Even though the casters are 5" swivel, the loaded cart does not move around as easy as I had hoped, but once the casters are lined up it goes OK.

Why don't you put two non-swiveling casters in the middle of both long sides? Mount them to be 3/8" higher than the swivel casters on the ends. That way you can spin the cart on its axis like the Home Depot carts.

Nice looking cart.

Jonathan Spool
01-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Good suggestion Glen although it would preclude me from shoving the whole cart sideways to the wall. I am thinking about changing out the red neoprene Griz casters with a higher grade caster, that will not be as sticky to the floor when swiveling around.
Any suggestions for a real good caster will be appreciated.

Steve Kohn
01-25-2011, 1:00 PM
Just a suggestion on the lumber rack.....you might want to slip the pieces of the next size up PVC pipe over the galvanized pipe. Prevent any grease/dirt/rust being transferred to your stacks of wood.

Jonathan Spool
01-25-2011, 9:56 PM
All the tubing has been painted with Rustoleum hammered finish (steel color). Seems to hold up well and doesn't transfer to the sheet goods.