PDA

View Full Version : wood gloat / what to do ?

David T gray
01-19-2011, 11:03 AM
bought this off ebay long ago when i first started turning it looked pretty bad in the pics knowing the value of it now im shocked he shipped it to me its 13x10x4+ the back side has even smaller eyes in it. anyways should i core it into 4 small bowls or let it sit for 6 months or so and do a hf ? only 11x11 are check free if used for hf and 9 1/2 for a bowl. the lines mark the 10x10 and would a hf even work @ 11x11x4 ?

Rick Markham
01-19-2011, 11:06 AM
That's a gorgeous piece of Redwood burl! That lace pattern is one of my favorites on Redwood. Good gloat, I'll let the others give ya suggestions for using it!

charlie knighton
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
with 4" wide, to get a good curve in hf probably 6 or 7" tall, most likely 9" bowl, which is fine, personally i like 6 or 7"bowls that are not steep sidded, the steaper the shape changes the eyes....just my opinion, part of the lesson learned is screwing up a nice pice of wood

Fred Perreault
01-19-2011, 1:18 PM
Dave, coring takes width and depth. After taking 1 or possibly 2 cores, you aren't gonna have much for bottoms, unless you are pretty sharp with your coring ability.

Tim Thiebaut
01-19-2011, 1:56 PM
I have never seen a piece of wood that color before, the color is amazing in that piece, it will be interesting to see what you come up with for it.

David E Keller
01-19-2011, 4:49 PM
It's a great looking piece of wood, David. There are numerous possibilities with that chunk, but I'd likely cut it into smaller blocks for small HFs and lidded boxes. I don't turn a lot of bowls, but you could certainly get an 8 or 9 inch bowl from it, and use the rest for small HFs and boxes. I hope you'll post what comes from it... Redwood burl is a favorite of mine.

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2011, 3:02 PM
Wow - that is some wood! Personally - I would just hang it on the wall the way it is!!!

I wouldn't worry about the checks - you can always fill with a colored epoxy or clear epoxy mixed with sawdust from the same wood!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2011, 7:32 PM
Really beautiful wood. It would be a bowl for me. Not enough depth to core really.