PDA

View Full Version : too much time

Harry Goodwin
01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Ive had a lot of time thiking lately with bad weather and a little under the weather.Little shop time. I saw a fancy joint on fine woodworking site which allowed my mind to wander.
I have never seen anywhere someone making a utilitarian box of three pieces with dovetails
facing in oposite directions. It would lock the box corners effectively. On a toy box type of project cut dovetails on top and possible bottom have thru dovetails cut facing one directiion and in the middle dovetails facing the other directiion. On the mating boards cut one board facing one direction , on a a second board or even third board having them face the other direction and glue them up. Would it not work and serve as a great mechanical bond. Any thoughts? Harry

Pam Niedermayer
01-19-2011, 11:03 AM
My thought is I'd like to see pictures/graphics before commenting.

Pam

David Weaver
01-19-2011, 11:15 AM
I think I gather that you're laminating boards together, so you'd have like an outer box and an inner box.

If you're using glue, it'll never be a concern. If it's still a concern, you could glue them and then pin the tails with a narrow dowel.

I think the only way you're going to get a mechanical joint that holds in all directions and doesn't have screws or dowels is to make your box out of metal or find a wood you can pein (that's, of course, tongue-in-cheek).

Jim Koepke
01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
My thoughts are along the same lines with Pam.

It sounds like it could be an impossible joint or a trick joint. The rising dovetail is one of those.

The layout of a large one is towards the end of this:

http://uncpress.unc.edu/woodwright/images/Underhill_Guide_excerpt.pdf

Roy Lindberry
01-20-2011, 2:10 AM
I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Are you thinking of twisted dovetails?

Harry Goodwin
01-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Roy wow that's close. I had the stomach virus with the posting of my first post and decided my brain was affected. The way I wanted to do it would lock the joint but make it impossible to assemble. Where did you get the instructions for that one. Thanks for all your patience. Harry

Roy Lindberry
01-20-2011, 8:52 PM
Roy wow that's close. I had the stomach virus with the posting of my first post and decided my brain was affected. The way I wanted to do it would lock the joint but make it impossible to assemble. Where did you get the instructions for that one. Thanks for all your patience. Harry

I haven't yet done a joint like this, but it is not impossible to assemble - it needs to be joined at a 45* angle. This particular picture came from Phil Edwards: http://www.philsville.co.uk/ Click on the "step by step projects" button and find "double twisted dovetails". I found his explanation lacking though (which is why I haven't done one yet), but just yesterday I got "Furniture Making Techniques" by David Charlesworth (http://www.amazon.com/David-Charlesworths-Furniture-Making-Techniques-v/dp/1861081251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295574604&sr=8-1) and he has an article in there on how to do the joint. I hope to try one soon.