PDA

View Full Version : Fein vs Festool HEPA Dust Extractors

Larry Frank
01-19-2011, 8:51 AM
I am going to purchase either the Fein Turbo II HEPA or the Festool CT 22 E HEPA Dust Extractor. There is not a lot of difference in the price of the two (both are not cheap). I have a dust collection system and air cleaner but want the dust extractor for use with sanding, routing, track saw and drill press. The sanding will clearly be the largest use of the machine.

Does anyone have a preference or thoughts about the ease of use, any minor issues or anything else that would help me make a choice.

For instance, based upon the pictures, it appears the Festool will roll easier and be more stable. The Fein appears to be quieter than the Festool. The maximum vacuum seems to be about the same and the Festool seems to have a slighlty higher max air flow.

At this point, it seems to be almost a flip of a coin. I have tools made by each company and am very pleased with both of them.

Matt Meiser
01-19-2011, 9:31 AM
Larry, I was looking at the same two vacs when I bought my CT22. The biggest 2 reasons I bought the CT22 were stability and on-board storage in terms of using a stack of Systainers on top. The shape and wheel arrangement on the Fein seemed about the same as a standard shop vac which I was regularly knocking over tugging it around by the hose. I thought the Fein would continue the same aggravation.

I also got the hose garage attachment and used an empty Systainer for a second hose. For a while I kept my other tools on top but then I built a homemade Sysport for in the shop. Now I don't store any Systainers on top in the shop, but do have an Oneida Dust Deputy that lives there. That comes off when I take it in the house or somewhere else to work on a project.

Joe Scharle
01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I prefer the Fein (III)..quieter.
Also, I move my hoses and seldom move the vac since it's connected to a 40gal fiber can with a Thein.
Mine has a Cleanstream, but has never needed cleaning.

Lee Schierer
01-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a Fein Turbo II and really like it. The noise level is very low. You can actually carry on a conversation while standing next to it when it is running. It rolls around really well and so far has not tipped over on me. Two things I don't like is there is no place to coil up the hose and the cord doesn't have a molded snap on the plug to hook it onto the cord.

Callan Campbell
01-19-2011, 5:10 PM
+1 on the Fein having a low volume level and any of them that I've tried seem to be easy to roll on most shop type floors. I own, however, the Festool CT-22 since I also own Festools of various models and wanted the storage and hose collection system that Festool offers for its vacuums. I also ended up with the Oneida DD Festool version sitting on top of my CT, so now I don't store anything on top of the CT except the Oneida unit[LOL] Decide if you just want a great vacuum, or a great vacuum with more accessories based to support it. I'm still surprised Fein hasn't gotten more aggresive with offering things to enhance their vacuums since they introduced the high-end HEPA vacuums to the US before Festool if I remember right.

Greg Portland
01-19-2011, 5:16 PM
Fein fixed the biggest issue with this new series of DC by adding variable suction (IMO required for sanders). Festool is worth it if you are going to buy the entire system (boom arm, storage for hoses & systainers, etc., etc.).

Matt Winterowd
01-19-2011, 5:58 PM
I have both, and I prefer the festool for a couple reasons:
-Low square form factor. I can fit it more easily under benches and stuff. And set my beverage on it :)
-Easier to clean out. With the lid stays and flat bag, it's much less fussy to clean out the festool
-Warranty. Fein's warranty is null and void if you don't get the unit serviced yearly by an authorized service center. I don't want to have to maintain a vacuum that way.

I honestly can't really say that the noise difference or vacuum suction is really noticeably different. I give a small edge to the fein's hose.

Steven J Corpstein
01-19-2011, 6:49 PM
I have both a Fein Turbo II and a Festool CT22 and much prefer the Festool for shop duties, BUT... The Fein seems to be a bit handier when it comes to vacuuming out the truck, etc. The only thing I don't care for on the Festool is that the anti-static hose is so stiff. I think it's a necessary evil though because one of the things I hate about the Fein is every bit of sawdust that comes close to the hose in the Winter sticks because of the static.

Marshall Gayton
01-19-2011, 10:56 PM
I have both as well. Prefer the Festool over the Fein, but both are great vacs. You won't go wrong with purchasing either one. Festool bag life (loss of suction) better than the Fein for me. However, if you add a dust deputy to either one and you can doing a whole lot of sanding before you'll see any decrease in performance.

Mark A Johnson
01-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Another Happy Festool owner. Thier sander's are a plus also, less viberation then other sanders.

Jim Becker
01-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Both are great vacs. I prefer the Festool's format which tucks away easier...and, in all honesty, I have a whole bunch of other Festool products that I am extremely pleased with. I have the CT22.

Steve Rowe
01-20-2011, 11:26 PM
I have an older Fein mini-turbo and the Festool CT vacuums. The Fein I use for general shop cleanup and the Festool for connection to shop tools. This is primarily due to the fact that my Fein did not have an autostart feature nor variable speed. I am sure the newer model Fein vacs have these features. I think the Fein may be just a tad quieter but it is smaller and doesn't move as much air so that could be the difference. Both are excellent performers. I find the cord, hose, and accessory storage on the Fein to be less satisfactory than the Festool.

All that said, you really can't go wrong with either vacuum - just choose the shape or color you prefer.
Steve