PDA

View Full Version : Surplus Gast pump question.

Dan Forman
01-19-2011, 3:38 AM
I'm finally getting around to setting up my vacuum chuck, and have a question about the Gast pump that many of you have. How much heat does it generate?

I'm planning a cart similar to Steve's, but maybe enclosing to motor, at least to some degree, both to protect from dust getting in the vents, as well as cutting down on noise.

I will have both filters plus the little relief valve filter, so not worried about dust getting in the lines, but I wonder if dust will get in the vents in the motor and cause problems. I would think that the air going though the pump would carry away some of the heat generated, but is there enough left over that would need much in the way of ventilation?

How much is noise do these things generate when the filters are used?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Dan

Tim Thiebaut
01-19-2011, 6:09 AM
You could go ahead and enclose the motor like your thinking and cut some vent holes in the box it is enclosed in and install some residential grade, forced air furnace Air Filters in the box the motor is enclosed in so it still has easy airflow, just take the filters outside and knock the dust of them once or twice a month and your good to go. Just an idea...Tim

Gary Max
01-19-2011, 6:29 AM
Mine gets real hot------If I am going to run it over 30 minutes, I have been known to put a fan on it. Mine is old and over worked but it has always ran hot.

Dick Strauss
01-19-2011, 9:24 AM
Dan,
I'd suggest you wrap some aquarium filter material (thin) around the openings with a couple of rubber bands or wire.

Good luck,
Dick

Dan Forman
01-19-2011, 4:50 PM
Excellent ideas, thanks. How about the noise factor, is it significant?

Brent Grooms
01-19-2011, 7:23 PM
I have mine in a 3 sided cart and do not find the noise objectionable... its probably less than an orbital sander. Lately I have been running the cyclone while turning so I couldnt hear it if I wanted to.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-19-2011, 8:02 PM
Dan I am attaching a pictures and if you are interested I will send you my PDF Tutorial that describes the whole setup in detail. It is too big to attach to the post. I have had mine for about four years. It is not covered and does take in some dust through the motor vent slots but I blow it out on a regular basis. I have had no issues with it and it continues to work fine. Personally I would not cover those vent slots with anything. My motor gets warm but not hot and I have run it for over an hour on a number of occasions.:)

Bob Bergstrom
01-19-2011, 8:21 PM
I've had mine for a little over month. Bought the pump new from Craft Supply. Gives off very little heat. I can put my hand on it even after a half hour of use. Being new I have not come close to having to close the bleeder valve. It probably would break the bowl if I did. It is on a shelf shoulder high and about 5 feet from my head. It just hums and is barely noticeable. I will take Chris's advice and blow it out on a regular basis

Dan Forman
01-20-2011, 3:43 AM
Chris---Thanks for the offer, PM sent. Thats one big honkin' vac gauge, to go with big honkin' lathe!

Bob---Thanks for the noise assessment.

John King
01-20-2011, 9:09 AM
I have a Gast vacuum pump. It runs a little warm/hot depending on how long it runs. It's a little noisy, but not unbearable.

Anytime you put an electrical motor in an enclosure you limit the amount of air circulating around the motor; therefore, you limit motor cooling. Filters will restrict air flow to the motor. As the filters remove particles from the air, the air restriction through the filters increases. Take a pass on building an enclosure for the vacuum pump. Just blow it out with compressed air after each use. Also, let it run without load after use to facilitate cool down.

Here are a couple of quotes from Gast Vacuum Pumps & Compressors, Operation & Maintenance Manual.

"Blocking air flow over the product in any way can cause the product to overheat."

"Shutdown Procedures: Run at maximum vacuum for 10-15 minutes."

Dan Forman
01-20-2011, 4:42 PM
Thanks John.

Dan

Harry Robinette
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Dan
I use a small Sears compressor hooked up backwards and run a line from the exhaust blowing back across the unit keeps it much cooler,I would think your vac pump would have an exhaust also so maybe try it.I know some small machine shops use compressed air to help cool bits.
Hope this helps.
Harry