PDA

View Full Version : About those wrenches for cabinet saws....

Phil Phelps
01-11-2005, 9:11 PM
Several of you know I have a '48 model Unisaw. It has two wrenchs to change the blade. A really safe and fast method. I thought all did until I inspected my buddys' 90 model. His has the single wrench set up. In 2000 I bought the 5hp. 12" Grizzly. And, the first thing I noticed was the sorry wrench that bit me. The Griz has an enterchangable set of arbors, also. The wrench has two pins that lock onto the housing while you unscrew the arbor with an alen wrench. Uninspired engineering, I might add. If your saw would allow you to use a two wrenchs, I'd say buy one, modify one, or fabricate one. This single wrench and chock the blade is simply too horse and buggy. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Ted Shrader
01-11-2005, 9:46 PM
Phil -

I do not use the factory stamped wrenches to change blades. I buy individual "real" wrenches of the correct size and store one (or two) by each machine. Even for router bit changes. The real wrenches are just easier on the hands.

Ted

Jim Becker
01-11-2005, 9:51 PM
I have two wrenches for my Jet LT Cabinet saw. It came with one...I asked Jet for a second since I prefer my flesh to remain intact and hate jamming things into the blade teeth to keep it stationary. They cheerfully sent it out to me. Neither have sharp edges.

Michael Ballent
01-12-2005, 1:54 AM
My DeWalt 764 came with 2 wrenches and the arbor has flat areas for one wrench and the other to loosen the blade... Never have needed to put a piece of wood into the blade to replace it.... The more I hear about the other TS the happier I am with my TS...