PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly good???

Garry Hirsch
01-19-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm thinking of getting into turning and I'm considering a Grizzly Model G0658 12"x20" lathe. My primary interest initially is do pens but since this lathe has outboard turning capability it appears to lend itself to bowls and larger stuff which I may want to do in the future. The Grizzly catolog has lots of testimonials indicating they are good but I'm seeking information from you experienced turners. What would your recommendations be for price range $400-$600, the Grizzly prices out at $450.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Garry:confused:

Greg Just
01-19-2011, 7:05 AM
Although I don't personally own one, the Delta 46-460 is a very nice choice. I would recommend contacting ToolNut for a package deal. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the vortex!

John Keeton
01-19-2011, 7:17 AM
Garry, my comments are mere conjecture, as I have not turned outboard, nor turned on the Grizzly G0658. But, I do have the Delta 46-460. Aside from the warranty difference (Delta - 5 yrs, Grizzly 1 yr.), the Delta has a little larger motor, and the access to change belt position in much more accessible on the Delta. The Grizzly access appears to be on the back side of the headstock. You will be changing the belt position often, and access is important.

The weight difference of 35 lbs. appears to be in the extra cast iron in the headstock case, for the most part.

In either event, I doubt you could do much outboard turning on a lathe of that size. Even with the added horsepower and torque of the Delta, I can bog it down on a large piece of wet wood. I can't imagine you could successfully turn a piece larger than 12" on a 3/4hp motor.

But, again, I have neither tried outboard turning, nor used the Grizzly. I am, however, very happy with the Delta.

Gary Max
01-19-2011, 7:22 AM
You will have a hard time buying a smaller lathe to turn bigger stuff--- that's why they make bigger lathes. I just bought a 46-460 from Tool-Nut just to turn small items.

Bill Bulloch
01-19-2011, 8:19 AM
I wouldn't recommend outboard turning unless you have one of those real heavy lathes. I have the Jet 1236 and had major problems everytime I tried outboard turning on it. I bought the Delta 46-460 and since then, I have not turned anything on the Jet. The Grizzly will probably be a good starter lathe, but I am sure you will be wanting to upgrade in short time. Like me, I bought the Jet 1236 as a starter lathe and within 18 months moved (up) to the Delta 46-460, then a year later I bought the Delta 46-755X. I still have all three and use both of the Deltas, but the Jet just collects dust. I'm thinking about selling it.

Sid Matheny
01-19-2011, 8:26 AM
I'm a Grizzly fan and have several of their machines BUT I think in this case the Delta 46-460 would be your best bet in that price range.

Sid

James Combs
01-19-2011, 8:50 AM
I'm thinking of getting into turning and I'm considering a Grizzly Model G0658 12"x20" lathe. My primary interest initially is do pens but since this lathe has outboard turning capability it appears to lend itself to bowls and larger stuff which I may want to do in the future. The Grizzly catolog has lots of testimonials indicating they are good but I'm seeking information from you experienced turners. What would your recommendations be for price range $400-$600, the Grizzly prices out at $450.

Thanks in advance for your input,
Garry:confused:

Hi Gary, I own the G0658 and love it. Here is a short writeup about it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=33
Now that being said I would also recommend the Delta 46-460 but mainly because of the better warranty. The Griz is a sweet little lathe but value wise I would probably go with the Delta if I had it to do over again.

Don Nicholas
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
I have the Grizzly G0657 10"x16" and love it. It is a bit underpowered for anything larger than bottlestoppers, for pens,IMHO is fine.
I have a problem that developed, the digital readout has quit working, everything else works good as new. After a call to Grizzly tech Dept, they said it was one of two parts. One $35 and the other $45. The Warranty at the time, was out by a month or so. It would be necessary to buy both parts, one may work and the other is a non returnable electrical part. Just my 2 cents worth.

Roger Chandler
01-19-2011, 10:28 AM
if you can, the Delta 46-460 would give you a lot more value for your money. More versatile in that it can reverse as well.

Garry Hirsch
01-19-2011, 3:01 PM
Thanks to all ! I have sent a request to ToolNut for pricing on the Delta which appears to be the route to go.
Thanks again,
Garry

David Warkentin
01-19-2011, 7:00 PM
Welcome here! And watch out for the VORTEX!

Jack Camillo
01-19-2011, 7:25 PM
Thanks to all ! I have sent a request to ToolNut for pricing on the Delta which appears to be the route to go.
Thanks again,
Garry

Let us know the package price! I'm hanging out waiting for my wife to not miss the $ and I'm all over a lathe :)

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-19-2011, 7:42 PM
Just another vote for the 46-460 -- I have the extended bed and the stand -- it is much, much nicer to turn on than the small Rikon I previously had (which was nice by the way . . .). I just wish I could turn out product like Mr. Keeton!