PDA

View Full Version : Great Customer Service - Lee Valley

Garrett Ellis
01-18-2011, 11:04 PM
I know that Lee Valley is already highly regarded among this forum but recently I was very impressed by them.

My girlfriend ordered me a few items from them for Christmas before finding out that my parents had already ordered and received the same tools to give me. They not only reimbursed my girlfriend for the tools and return shipping, but also for the original shipping costs.

I now realize that this is their written policy on their website, but I didn't know that before this happened (why would I ever want to RETURN tools?!)

I think it's great that they go beyond normal expectations like this. I've had to return orders to many different online retailers over the years and almost never get reimbursed for EITHER shipping, much less BOTH ways.

I already loved lee valley and their tools but this really makes me want to purchase from them first because I know they will really go above and beyond normal expectations, from my experience and also reading others' experiences here on SMC.

BTW - the tools were the 2 new carcass saws and the DT saw, and they are working out great!

Derek Gilmer
01-18-2011, 11:15 PM
I got the LV dovetail saw and a set of LV chisels under the tree this year and love them. Then turned around and bought their marking gauge and scraper set... I feel the beginnings of an addiction :)

John A. Callaway
01-19-2011, 2:12 AM
two more that have slipped on the slippery slope that is Lee Valley / Veritas.... my wish list is about three grand right now.

Derek Gilmer
01-19-2011, 7:29 AM
two more that have slipped on the slippery slope that is Lee Valley / Veritas.... my wish list is about three grand right now.
Yep, I've had to break mine up into two lists. A probably list that I can buy pieces from fairly painlessly and then.. all their planes :)

Chris Griggs
01-19-2011, 7:54 AM
I stopped bothering with a list as it got to overwhelming especially when combined with my LN list not to mention my various saw maker list. Now I just focus on the next tool (okay few tools:)) I want. The skew rabbet is next on my list if/when I get a tax refund followed by a new set of chisels... and an apron plane or LN 102... and a new tenon saw... and low angle jack.... and a new jointer plane... and a Worksharp... and a plow plane... and another block plane... and an LN bronze No. 3 or no 4 or LV BU smoother....
and.... and.... and.... Oh lord, what have I become??!!! I'm supposed to be saving for a down payment on a home!:D

Chen-Tin Tsai
01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Last year, I had nothing from Lee Valley, and now, I have a set of their mortise chisels, both of the carcass saws, all three dovetail saws and a bunch of other stuff. And some of this was gotten only in the last month! :D

Dan Sink
01-19-2011, 11:20 AM
You can add me to the list of guys that got their dovetail saw for Christmas.

Erik France
01-19-2011, 2:01 PM
My girlfriend ordered me a few items from them for Christmas before finding out that my parents had already ordered and received the same tools to give me. They not only reimbursed my girlfriend for the tools and return shipping, but also for the original shipping costs.
Did she get you something else from them? or did she pocket the money and say "it was the thought that counted". :D

I was really impressed with them when I got a letter about a little Thread ID kit I purchased a while back. They informed me that the printing may come off of the plate and that they had refunded my purchase price since it didn't meet their standards. They also included a card with the plate text in case the printing does wear off, as they said the ID kit was still mine to use.

Chuck Tringo
01-19-2011, 7:39 PM
Yep, they got me too....built this collection of planes (90% LV/Veritas) over the last 2 years...the pic doesnt include the 3 saws, marking gauge, wonder pups, bevel gauge and numerous others I'm sure that I am forgetting....Im just glad I dont live in Canada near one of their retail stores....

Mark Baldwin III
01-19-2011, 7:49 PM
The best thing about the customer service at LV is that you rarely need to deal with them! I've probably spent $1500-$2000 with them in the last year, and I've been totally satisfied with every purchase. The only piece I don't like is because it doesn't fit my style...nothing to do with quality. My favorite kitchen knife is from LV too! And I spend more time in the kitchen than I do in my shop. Note to Mr. Lee...PLEASE make a complete set of knives to compliment that peasant's knife, I'll snatch 'em up right away!

Derek Gilmer
01-19-2011, 9:38 PM
Im just glad I dont live in Canada near one of their retail stores....

It is probably best for my marriage and credit rating that I don't live close to one. Drooling on the internet is one thing. If I was to have easy access to fondle their tools I'd have a much harder time saying no.

bob blakeborough
01-20-2011, 1:36 PM
Yep, they got me too....built this collection of planes (90% LV/Veritas) over the last 2 years...the pic doesnt include the 3 saws, marking gauge, wonder pups, bevel gauge and numerous others I'm sure that I am forgetting....Im just glad I dont live in Canada near one of their retail stores....

Well I do live within 20 minutes of a Lee Valley store, so I know exactly how you feel...

Here is a pic of my "first" single purchase from them! There has been additions since as well... Thank god my wife still loves me!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs228.snc4/38729_10150247748610693_895470692_14092258_3627849 _n.jpg

Chuck Tringo
01-20-2011, 6:42 PM
Well Bob....I can say that my collection is comparable to yours...but if that was a single purchase, then i would say you'll have me beat in no time at all....I am a bit jealous I must say

John Sanford
01-20-2011, 7:36 PM
Bob,

It's pics like your's that make Rob Lee smile! ;)

Jim Chandler
01-21-2011, 9:19 AM
Currently I live about an hour from a LV store.... something my wife has always been thankful for. That does not stop me from still spending far too much money with them though. But a few months ago they announced a new store that will be about 25 mins away! :)

Back to the orginal post though I agree the service is second to none. It has amazed me how many times I have seen Rob pop up in a thread to rectify a situation.

Derek Gilmer
01-21-2011, 9:38 AM
Back to the orginal post though I agree the service is second to none. It has amazed me how many times I have seen Rob pop up in a thread to rectify a situation.

I've been more amazed by how few complaints about them you see. Dealing with problems quickly is great. Not having problems to begin with is even better!

Mark Wyatt
01-21-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree with Derek. I've ordered many things from Lee Valley and have never had a problem. I'm certain if I did that they would fix it immediately. I'm going to the Indianapolis woodworking show today and will probably leave with another order from our Canadian tool overlords. :rolleyes:

bob blakeborough
01-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I've been more amazed by how few complaints about them you see. Dealing with problems quickly is great. Not having problems to begin with is even better!

Carrying on with the OP's post, I too was amazed. I was pretty much totally new to hand tools when I made this purchase, and researched the tar out of what I wanted before commiting as I like to buy and tools just once and use them for life (I know... Pretty big risk dollar wise being as I went into this no hand tool experience). After everything I read doing my research and seeing how well Lee Valley was spoken of everywhere, I made my decision.

Once I made my buy and posted a newbies prideful picture of my haul, it wasn't even 24 hours before Mr. Rob Lee sent me a PM not only thanking me for my purchase, but also noting I was a complete newbie, he offered and arranged for me to have an in house, private sharpening and set up lesson at the LV store of my choice (Calgary in this case) taking as long as I needed to get comfortable, completely for free! That really hooked me and showed that not only was this a great company, but seperately the owner himself actually cares about the people using his products and takes a proactive role in their satisfaction, to a point that you rarely see from a company of this size!

rick bear
03-09-2011, 2:01 AM
Wow. Those are wonderful stories.

I'm still waiting a week and one day later to find out what happened to my LV order for two planes and assorted items. Apparently it didn't make it onto the UPS truck. Several emails and phone calls later we are still waiting for it to clear the window of delivery, whatever that is.

I'm sure the wait will be worth it, but I still remember the time UPS lost my Amazon order. The agent on the Amazon help line resent the order next day delivery, no charge. I now use them whenever possible to buy merchandise...

- Rick

martin morissette
03-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi, I just want to chip in too to praise Lee Valley customer service. Most people are trained to go for the cheapest therefore steering the market in this general direction. I am glad that LV keeps his niche for high quality tools. Most of the time, the cheap, cheaper and cheapest can't do the job and you end up wasting money and nature's resources on tools that can only be used as door stoppers. And you only have a limited number of doors anyway :) I have spent a lot of money at LV and always had an incredible experience there. Here's a little story of mine. Two years ago, I went to LV in Ottawa for a wood plane seminar. I drove 2 hours to get there and I forgot the keys in the car. I had to wait for the road assistance to get my keys before going to the seminar. Of course, the seminar could not wait for me and they started at the right time but the teacher told me that I would lose too much of the seminar and have problems to finish the project. A LV employee offered me to wait for the road assistance while I was attending the seminar. They came back in the class to give me my keys with a smile. How great is a service like that ? Can you get the same thing at Canadian Tire ? I highly doubt it. Lee Valley made me an eternal faithful customer.

Rob Lee
03-09-2011, 1:06 PM
Hi -

Just to keep this thread balanced - we did screw up on Rick's order (now put right). It appears that his intial contact was answered, and then delegated to two staff for follow-up... one at a trade show, and the other on course.

The spirit was willing.... but the flesh was absent....

Cheers -

Rob

Andrew Gibson
03-09-2011, 1:34 PM
I think I will chime in. I will say that I have had a couple issues with lee valley. I received a Router plane blade with a chip out of the corner. looked like it had gotten dropped somewhere along the line. That was very quickly replaces no questions asked, and shipped out and in my hands in 3 days.

yesterday I discovered that a replacement iron was warped along its length, causing the new cap iron I just got to not bear against the iron near the cutting edge. I sent an email stating all of this and that I have had the iron for 6-8 months and that it could easily be my fault the iron is warped. Marty said this morning that they are sending me out a new iron, and they asked me to send back the warped iron. There is a box and mailing label coming with the replacement iron. All I have to do is put the iron in the box and drop it off at the post office, no charge to me at all.

Rob, Keep it up! your customer service and products are second to none!
PS I am going out to the shop now to play with my BUJ.

rick bear
03-09-2011, 10:53 PM
And, as Rob indicated, Lee Valley has resolved my problem of lost items in a manner consistent with what I consider superb customer service. Lee Valley will stay on my short list of companies where service and customer satisfaction are a top priority.

Thanks,

- Rick