PDA

View Full Version : Source for wood tote?

Peter Pedisich
01-18-2011, 9:44 PM
Hi, I have a Record 04R - about 10 years old - and it came with 'Resin' tote and knob.
I've been looking for replacements in wood, but can't seem to find them for the Record, only Stanley.
I'd appreciate any advice on where to find these.

Thanks,

Pete

the plane looks like the below...but with plastic.

Bill Houghton
01-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Record bench planes were awfully doggoned similar to Stanleys - have you asked any of the sources for Stanley totes/knobs whether they'll fit Record planes?

Googling "Record plane replacement tote" brought me some UK and Australian possiblities, too.

Johnny Kleso
01-18-2011, 11:13 PM
LV has plans for making your own but hhere is the only place I know Highland HW
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rosewoodplanehandleset.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005276/GROZ-Bench-Planes.aspx
Also WC has whole hand planes cheaper than the handles alone but I can not commont if they fit or how they work..
Maybe someone else can..

Peter Pedisich
01-19-2011, 9:36 AM
Bill, thanks, I did ggogle it first and came upon the Australian site - really nice stuff - but was hoping to buy local.

Thanks! -Pete

David Weaver
01-19-2011, 9:40 AM
Have you got a lathe?

You might have luck finding a knob, and you can make the tote. If you have a lathe, you can just make the knob.

The only thing I ever use for making a tote is a cordless drill and some masking tape or a marker to mark bit depth for the depth of the nut at the end of the post.

finding both the knob and tote together in good condition is usually a costly proposition because people would rather pay $50 for them than make their own.

Peter Pedisich
01-19-2011, 9:53 AM
Johnny, Thanks - I may try out the one from Highland. Or find an old plane with a cracked casting for the totes.

Thanks!

Pete

Sam Takeuchi
01-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Speaking of handle and knob, does anyone know what happened to Greg Droz's Olde Tyme Stanley Totes and Knobs site? It appears offline (to me at least). Is he still making them? I was going to recommend him here but now I'm not sure if he's still making them. He made really beautiful and top quality handles and knobs. I bought a handle and knob from him little over a year ago and I couldn't be happier. I hope he'll pop back again.

Roger Davis IN
01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Check out the replacement wood over at The Best Things (http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/bailey_totes.htm). I bought some a couple of years ago, and they were very nice. I don't think they included any screws, etc. with the set.

Johnny Kleso
01-19-2011, 1:26 PM
Greg Droz sad to say got devorced and dosen't have the space now..
He made some really nice totes..

Jim McFarland
01-19-2011, 1:51 PM
Search ebay for seller id "nicobie" -- he may have or can make what you need.

Joel Goodman
01-19-2011, 2:04 PM
Greg made beautiful totes. Chris Schwarz recommends rbent.ct@gmail.com as a good source of totes in his blog. I think you could arrange to send the Record tote in so that the maker could see if they're the same -- or why not just see if the Record tote and knob fit on a Stanley?

David Weaver
01-19-2011, 2:09 PM

Must've run his spouse mad spending time in the shop making totes for everyone!

Greg Wease
01-19-2011, 2:09 PM
I have a Record 05 of about the same vintage and tried an old Stanley rosewood tote. The angle of the main mounting bolt is the same but the front hole didn't match up. Since there isn't a front screw on your #4 tote, one from a Stanley Bailey might fit just fine. Eric at NHPlaneparts on Ebay could probably help you with a replacement.

Sam Takeuchi
01-19-2011, 4:21 PM

Bummer. He was truly great to deal with and made great handles and knobs. I hope he'll manage to come around to making them again.

ken seale
01-20-2011, 8:23 AM
Search ebay for seller id "nicobie" -- he may have or can make what you need.

He posts on the woodnet forums. In the past he has had specials for woodnet members only. You might try a PM to him there.

Randy Briggs
01-20-2011, 11:25 AM
PM Sent

I have several sets of the Highland Record replacements sets NIB.

Rob Lee
01-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi Peter -

Shoot our customer service folks a note - our system shows 2 in stock (10P5001) - but that record (data, not the plane!) is quite old... they'll take a look for you!

Cheers -

Rob

larry ciccolo
01-20-2011, 3:29 PM
I have both totes and knobs made by Bill Rittner > rbent.ct@gmail.com
The quality is oustanding > fit / finish are awesome.

As a matter of fact, he is currently making additional ones for me now.
I also have other replacement totes and knobs made by others, and there is no comparison to Bill Rittner's replacements.

I really don't think you could get a better match.

Larry

Peter Pedisich
01-20-2011, 5:43 PM
Thank you all for the great info! I'm looking into all the options.

-Pete