PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own the Flexcut Starter Carving Set???

Harold Burrell
01-18-2011, 8:58 PM
I am wondering if anyone here owns the Flexcut Starter Carving Set? If so, would you recommend it?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005517/16480/Flexcut-Starter-Carving-Set-with-FREE-Relief-Carving-DVD.aspx

Thanks!

Jim Finn
01-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I do not own this set. In my carving I find I use three or four gouges for all my carvings. I have about twenty but most just gather dust.

Mike Henderson
01-19-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm not a big fan of FlexCut carving tools. I prefer standard carving tools by Pfeil, Stubi, Henry Taylor, etc.

Mike

Harold Burrell
01-19-2011, 9:43 AM
I'm not a big fan of FlexCut carving tools. I prefer standard carving tools by Pfeil, Stubi, Henry Taylor, etc.

Mike

Thanks for the replies.

Mike, could you tell me why you don't care for the FlexCut stuff? And...is there a "starter set" that you can recommend (in the same price range)???

Chaston Johnson
01-19-2011, 9:45 PM
I have thought recently about picking up a similar set to do some hobby carving with some outdoor furniture but I've yet to come to a decision as well.

Mike Henderson
01-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Mike, could you tell me why you don't care for the FlexCut stuff? And...is there a "starter set" that you can recommend (in the same price range)???
I just never cared for the feel of the tools. What I'd recommend you do is decide what you're going to carve and what tools you'll need for that job. Buy those tools - not a set. As you do additional jobs, add the tools you need for that work. Eventually, you'll have a pretty good set of tools. One tool you'll need for almost any job is a V tool. In the Pfeil brand, I'd recommend a 12/6 tool.

Mike

randall rosenthal
01-20-2011, 3:18 PM
listen to mike.....

Bryan Morgan
01-21-2011, 12:22 AM
I have the smaller set, came with a leaf thing to carve. Works fine for me but I don't really use them for carving out 3d things like I thought I would. I use them more for cleaning out inlays and whatnot.

Robert Culver
01-21-2011, 7:18 PM
If your wanting smaller detail tools check out these i put togather a small set of them and really like them ... http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=IL-PB.XX&Category_Code=TXQQ

Mike Pounders
01-25-2011, 1:25 PM
I have used and still use some Flexcut palm tools. They come sharp and are not real expensive. But now that I know which are my favorites or most often used, I am replacing them with full-size Pfeil Swiss gouges, which are also sharp, and are excedllent quality tools. It's all in what you can afford, and the Flexcuts are better than less expensive ones!

Brian J. Elliott
01-27-2011, 12:23 AM
I won a starter set from a local wood carvers club. I would not advise anyone to buy a full set of Flexcut tools. The set is far from being everything you would need to complete most projects.

The tools are fairly sharp and the seem to hold up well and are easy to polish, I believe they are adequate for someone entering the hobby. The set is easy to expand if you get bit by the bug and if you don't it's a small investment.

Mark Maleski
01-28-2011, 9:26 AM
What I'd recommend you do is decide what you're going to carve and what tools you'll need for that job. Buy those tools - not a set. As you do additional jobs, add the tools you need for that work. Eventually, you'll have a pretty good set of tools.

We really ought to have that advise posted as a sticky in this forum...the question comes up frequently (every time someone is newly bitten by the carving bug) and this really is the best answer. For my part, I bought the tools Mike prescribed from his flower tutorial, and have been buying another tool or so for each new project. I'm just at the point now where I'm adding second versions of the *same* tool so I can have 2 different grinds.

Terry Beadle
01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
I have a starter Flexcut tool set and I augmented it with a blade only set ( source Highland Hardware, Atlanta GA ). I find the Flexcut tools rather good. Easy to keep sharp and give good control in cutting the stock. They are hand held tools more than a tapping chisel. They can be lite-ly tapped but it's not recommended. They have worked great right out of the box for me. Some folks don't recommend them but my impression is it's a personal choice more than a performance choice. I like the way the cut in soft-ish woods. Even red oak is manageable. I do have some other wood carving chisels but they are of the PFeil type. They work great too but the cost per chisel is quite a bit higher. The Flexcut name is indicative of how they are best used as a push chisel. The flex a bit under pressure but it's very predictable, ie. has a low learning curve to get good results.

So for the amount of wood charve-ing I do, they serve me well. You can also buy at Harbor Freight some cheap chisel handles that will accept the blades to keep from having to swap out chisels so much. I bought 4 for about $1.50 that seem to be more than enough.

The Flexcut steel is high quality IMO. Keeps an edge for a long time and easy to hone back into shape.

I do think you should follow Mike's advice and add chisels etc, to your armory on a by project basis. The basic Flexcut set will get you started but you'll soon see certain chisel shapes that will aid you in your particular projects. Also, you will find that some chisels can be made to do other similar chisel shapes work, just not as easy. That will come with practice....practice is the secret word to success !

Enjoy the shavings !

Richard Galloway
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I use the Flex Cut tools as my "travel" tools that I can throw in a suitcase and take with me. I have Pfeil that I use at home, but find that there are certain tools from the flex cut that I dig out and use in certain places. Like several others have said, you will develop your own preferences for certain tools, regardless of brand.