PDA

View Full Version : Owens Corning Ballast or What to do with excess roofing.

James Combs
01-18-2011, 8:06 PM

I finished up insulating my shop yesterday afternoon.
In the process of climbing around up there I ran across two bundles of asphalt roofing shingles left over from roofing the shop back in the spring of '09. I got it down out of the way when installing the insulation. When the insulating was done I started cleaning up all the insulation cutoffs and generally cleaning up the shop and of course I keep tripping over these two bundles of shingles. That stuff is heavy, I am not about to put it back up there, what to do with it? Then I have an idea, I have been putting off building a ballast box for the Jet 1642 but had not got around to it. A couple of trimmed 2x6's and some old piano panels later I have a nice ballast box. In goes the asphalt shingles.

178756 178757

I also had a 50lb bag of general purpose gravel left over from leveling foundation pylons for my mower storage shed so I dumped them into the box as well and spread it all around the shingles.

Everything was a perfect fit.

I closed up the box with a half dozen screws and it's good to go. I am guessing but with the box + shingles + gravel there is at least 125-135lbs of ballast. One of these days I will throw some Jet white paint on it to blend it with the lathe.

Since I was working on the lathe I had been wanting to put some 2x4's under the legs to spread the weight of the foot pads over my 2x10 joist flooring. The floor is 1.5 inches thick but I didn't like the small foot print of the foot pads. The 2x4 has two 1/4" deep pockets that the pads rest in to keep if from vibrating off of the 2x4. Of course hopefully there want be much vibration with the new ballast.

Comments welcome

Paul Gilbert
01-18-2011, 8:20 PM
Mass is important, the more the better. However, what I have read says that dry sand will dampen vibration better than the equivalent amount of solid weight.

Michael James
01-18-2011, 9:11 PM
Good job there, James. I think you'll be OK with the ballast you have, and if not maybe disperse some sand in to fill the airholes in there. If you start turning huge pieces that want to move the lathe, you might want to reconsider.
my .02

David E Keller
01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Who would have thought... Yankee ingenuity from Kentucky? Looks like a good place to hide a couple shingles...

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Nice idea - should work out just fine for you!

Alan Heffernan
01-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Good use of the shingles and you're use of the 2X4's to spread the load is not a bad idea either. Thanks for the post.

Don Alexander
01-18-2011, 11:59 PM
bet you are the only guy in the world that can use the ballast from his lathe to repair the roof
:D:D:D

James Combs
01-19-2011, 8:40 AM
bet you are the only guy in the world that can use the ballast from his lathe to repair the roof
:D:D:D

Thought the same thing when I did it.:D:D;)

charlie knighton
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
looks good James, if you need any more you have room to add bags on sand on top of your ballast box and tools holder, put a cover of plastic over bags of sand for curlies to slide off and you could add another 250 lbs

James Combs
01-20-2011, 7:11 PM
looks good James, if you need any more you have room to add bags on sand on top of your ballast box and tools holder, put a cover of plastic over bags of sand for curlies to slide off and you could add another 250 lbs

That is one of the reasons I used 2x6 runners instead of 2x4s. If I need to I can put some 1x4-6 sides on top of the existing box and create a 2nd layer of ballast without worrying about if the bottom will carry it or not.

Roger Chandler
01-20-2011, 7:59 PM
Great idea JD! Nice use of materials that would usually go in a landfill somewhere, and now you have given it a second life. Nice job!