PDA

View Full Version : question about coffee and glue filler

Dennis Simmons
01-18-2011, 7:02 PM
When you mix coffee and glue, do you use new coffee, or do you dry your used coffee:confused:

Curt Fuller
01-18-2011, 7:54 PM
Either one works fine. For as little as you use, I think it's easier to just use some fresh stuff rather that go to the trouble of drying out the used grinds.

David E Keller
01-18-2011, 8:17 PM
I hope the new grounds work better since I never acquired a taste for coffee... I'd hate to think that I had to brew it, throw out all the dirty water, and then dry the grounds just to get a void filled properly!:eek::D:D

John Keeton
01-18-2011, 8:22 PM
... I'd hate to think that I had to brew it, throw out all the dirty water, and then dry the grounds just to get a void filled properly!:eek::D:D:eek::eek::eek: Keller, this is heresy!!!! The good Lord put coffee beans and chocolate here for pure pleasure!!:D Using the by-product for crack filler is just a bonus!

David E Keller
01-18-2011, 9:25 PM
Perhaps I have a double appreciation for chocolate... Besides, diet Coke is obviously a product of divine intervention(all the great caffeine with the added bonus of bubbles)!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-18-2011, 9:52 PM
It helps being Dutch :D, when my coffee grind is getting low I just pick the filter paper with the coffee grind in it and take it to the shop, set it down on a block and let it dry, when dry it goes into a small container for when I need it, easy and I do like to have the use of the ground coffee beforehand :D

Thomas Canfield
01-18-2011, 10:06 PM
I have used some instant coffee to add color to shavings and sanding dust. For some larger gaps, I have dampened the shavings/dust/coffee mix with DNA before mixing with 5 minute epoxy. It makes the mix a little thinner, but fills the gaps including small cracks and still finishes well with my oil/poly finish.

David DeCristoforo
01-18-2011, 10:08 PM
All you need to know is revealed here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143490-Evaluation-of-various-coffees-used-as-fillers.&highlight=

And, yes... you must use fresh coffee. Sacrifices must be made in the name of "high art"... Sorry!

David E Keller
01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143490-Evaluation-of-various-coffees-used-as-fillers.&highlight=

One of my favorite SMC threads of all time... I was wrong not to defer to DD immediately with any coffee related concerns.

David DeCristoforo
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM
"I was wrong not to defer to DD immediately with any coffee related concerns..."

Indeed

Ken Fitzgerald
01-18-2011, 10:23 PM

And, yes... you must use fresh coffee. Sacrifices must be made in the name of "high art"... Sorry!

Ask me if I am surprised that a guy from California would suggest getting art "high".....:rolleyes::D

Don Alexander
01-19-2011, 12:10 AM
ok Ken hehe are you surprised? :D:D:D

Dan Forman
01-19-2011, 3:44 AM
How do you guys avoid bubbles in the epoxy? Every time I've tried to use it to fill voids, I find tiny pits (from bubbles) in the finished product.

Dan

Mike Stephens
01-19-2011, 6:37 AM
I dry out used grounds. Use recycle reuse.

John Keeton
01-19-2011, 7:06 AM
How do you guys avoid bubbles in the epoxy? Every time I've tried to use it to fill voids, I find tiny pits (from bubbles) in the finished product.

DanDan, when I have used epoxy for filling a recess or crack, after taking a light cut to level the area, I will mix just a very small dab of 5 minute epoxy and with a painter's spatula, fill those air bubbles. Seems to work fine.

John Beaver
01-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I use instant coffee - under the premise that the heat generated from the epoxy will dissolve the instant grounds thus making a smoother mix.
Don't know if it really works, but it sounds good. Of course you could use Folgers and the "Flavor Crystals" would make a nice enhancement.

Dennis Simmons
01-19-2011, 6:10 PM

I took the used coffee grounds to my shop in aluminum foil and set it on my heater, the shop smelled good all day. I have a good supply now. This is a picture of "Folgers in my Cup" I think I need red coffee beans :) This cup has no finish yet, I will let it set a few more days until I finish it. I love cherry tree roots! Thanks for all the coments.178886178887

lowell holmes
01-19-2011, 6:21 PM
I'm with you John.

My morning starts of grinding a nice Costa Rican dark roast and brewing it fresh. My other favorite is a Honduran normal roast.

:)

Christopher K. Hartley
01-19-2011, 8:24 PM
I hope the new grounds work better since I never acquired a taste for coffee... I'd hate to think that I had to brew it, throw out all the dirty water, and then dry the grounds just to get a void filled properly!:eek::D:DI know what your problem is David...you never had any of that old military field coffee where you filter the grounds through a dirty sweat sock. Once you've had that, drinking coffee is a necessity of life that you'll never give up.

Jim Burr
01-19-2011, 9:01 PM
I've found that building up the layers works well but I use thin CA. Also make sure to use a non-oily bean, oil can leach to the surrounding grain and it's harder for the CA/epoxy to stick

David E Keller
01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I know what your problem is David...you never had any of that old military field coffee where you filter the grounds through a dirty sweat sock. Once you've had that, drinking coffee is a necessity of life that you'll never give up.

That's true, but I think it also has something to do with the coffee pots that got left on all over the hospital where I trained... You would have needed a spatula to scrape the black, tarry goo out of the pot and into a cup for consumption. Roofing tar actually appears nearly as potable as much of the coffee I saw fellow residents happily consume.

Cathy Schaewe
01-19-2011, 10:21 PM
That's true, but I think it also has something to do with the coffee pots that got left on all over the hospital where I trained... You would have needed a spatula to scrape the black, tarry goo out of the pot and into a cup for consumption. Roofing tar actually appears nearly as potable as much of the coffee I saw fellow residents happily consume.

bleah. David, I thought drinking pot after pot of coffee was a prerequisite for residency - it certainly seems to be for my profession!

Dan Forman
01-20-2011, 3:28 AM
Dan, when I have used epoxy for filling a recess or crack, after taking a light cut to level the area, I will mix just a very small dab of 5 minute epoxy and with a painter's spatula, fill those air bubbles. Seems to work fine.

Thanks John.

Dan