PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Instruction / Techniques

Chris Jackson
01-18-2011, 6:34 PM
I'm looking for some more intensive/advanced bandsaw instruction techniques and/or instruction materials (DVD, Books, articles...). I've got a very good handle on basic techniques and tuning (set-up, tensioning, circle cutting, jig use, basic curves, basic straight cuts and simple resawing).

My search is specifically for "advanced" instruction...anyone have thoughts/ideas...I'd really like to be getting more from the tool, as it's probably the most under-utilized in my shop at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Eddie Darby
01-18-2011, 9:18 PM
Have you seen this book?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=aeM7uIFQav8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=band+saw+mark+duginske&source=bl&ots=FTG5KVZzM-&sig=HNpyqqdGc16QQKwia1FG65mKREs&hl=en&ei=a0k2Tf-sN4GdlgeTztjoAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Gary Hodgin
01-18-2011, 9:24 PM
In addition to Mark Duginski's book linked above, he has a good dvd also.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L0U0XI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000UQ53NS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11JD8DPQQ1HJZBC9BGMP

Van Huskey
01-18-2011, 9:28 PM
Both Duginski's book and video I would consider "basic". If one has a good grasp of setting up, and tuning a bandsaw that may be interesting reading/viewing and one can probably learn something new but I doubt either will be full of revelations. I can't think of anything off hand that I would consider a one stop shop of advanced bandsaw techniques, I have not seen the new Taunton bandsaw book though. There is a lot of interesting stuff on youtube if you take the time to kiss a lot of frogs.

Chris Jackson
01-19-2011, 6:52 AM
Van, Yes I've noticed the same...I've looked at a lot of the "Basic" books...Taunton, Duginski, Lonnie Bird, etc... My thought process is more along the lines of the very advanced and perhaps even a little philosophical...a sort of "things you never thought a bandsaw could do" sort of instruction. Something for the bandsaw at the level that Krenov wrote in The Fine Art of Cabinet Making. Does that make sense?

There do seem to be the onesy, twosy YouTube videos if you suffer through 100 poorly made ones, and I have found some gems but I still feel like something is missing...

Any other Creekers out there with some help or advice here??

bob hertle
01-19-2011, 7:10 AM
Only advanced text I've seen/read on bandsaws is DoAll's which is geared toward metalworking therefore probably not relevant here.

Bob