PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing the interior of a wooden vessel

Jack Camillo
01-18-2011, 6:25 PM
I'm figuring if anyone knew, they would be in the turners' corner. Can someone direct me to a product I could use to waterproof the inside of a wooden vessel so as to use it as a planter? One thing I have in my shop is a product by Performix called Plasti Dip. Directions indicate it can be used to coat the inside of ceramic pots, but it can also be used on wood. I'd bet someone here has another idea. Thanks.

dan carter
01-18-2011, 6:47 PM
I've used two coats of epoxy on goblets and it seems to work as well as anything. The first coat is fairly thin, then the second is abit thicker. Good luck.

Michael James
01-18-2011, 9:14 PM
the stuff they coat bars and tables in pubs with. Don't know the name of it offhand, but I remember it's not cheap.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-18-2011, 9:57 PM
For a planter type bowl I would use a plastic or glass inner pot, I think any other finish will get damaged or split/check and then the water will get under/through it and stain/rot the wood.

Randy Gazda
01-18-2011, 10:14 PM
1+ for the glass or plastic liner.

Mark Burge
01-18-2011, 11:28 PM
I've been aiming to try the plastic paint from Rustoleum. I got a can to cover some plastic parts and I though it looked waterproof. It's on my list of techniques to try. Anybody tried it?