PDA

View Full Version : Just recieved a nice Yankee 2101a 8" Brace

Johnny Kleso
01-18-2011, 5:52 PM
I just recieved this very nice Yankee 2101a 8" Brace I won @eBay for $21.50 + shipping..

These sell for $100-$150 @eBay but because where was no discription and only a picture plus seller had zero feedbacks, where were very few bidders..

Good deals can still be found! Just a few years back you could buy a nice 10" for $35 or a 8" for $40

I dont check eBay as I did but after people asking about where to buy I just happened to check eBay and find this.. If you looking for tools just check one a week or more and dont be in a hurry let the deal find you and bid to win when you find the tool but bbid to out bid the highhest but as most bidder will bid seconds before the end of the auction..

I use a program called Auction Sentry (not deluxe) I paid $29 for about 5 years ago
You can test most of these for a few weeks as a trial and try dozens of these if your just looking for a few tools.. If you dont use one bid just a few mons before the auction ends so not to start a bidding war.. If a price is posted long enough no matter how high some in time will bid more.. Thats why I bid at very end..

Good Lucj and happy hunting..

Peter Pedisich
01-18-2011, 8:12 PM
That's a great deal. I hope to find a 10" version of that brace.
How are the jaws?

Casey Gooding
01-18-2011, 9:15 PM
That's more than a fair price for a really nice looking brace. You should enjoy that one. I love all three of mine.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-18-2011, 9:30 PM
I've used that trick successfully before as well - I search in a specific eBay category (you can keep clicking if you want; I usually search for something specific, like "Yankee 2101A", and click on the first auction; then click on the last word in the category list at the top of the auction to look at the whole category)

Looking just at the category gives you way too many results; and obviously a lot of them are going to be rusty Yankees or MF drills with a reserve or buy it now price set way too high. Entering search terms with a minus before them will search for results without that word. So I just punch in something like " -Stanley -Millers -Falls -Yankee", etc. This will pull you up a list of results in the category where the seller didn't list one of those manufacturers. (Make sure you don't put a space between the minus and the word you don't want to show up!) I also put in things like "-gimlet" etc, if that helps. Basically if you see a lot of things you don't want showing up, or notice all the Craftsman drills are getting in the way, research with the minus in there. I just subtracted more than half of the listings in the "Collectibles > Tools, Hardware & Locks > Tools > Carpentry, Woodworking > Drills" category by punching in a bunch of manufacturer names.

I then set the view to "gallery view", to get a grid of pictures, set the items shown to a large number, and, sort by ending time or just Buy It Now or newly listed as my needs are. Open up whatever looks neat. Now it's just a matter of being good at identifying items by the pictures, and asking questions of sellers (way too many people let you know how long a brace is, but not how wide - although if the pictures are good, you can often guesstimate.)

Sorry, that was pretty rambling. I haven't used this too much with tool auctions, but with other "collectable" things I've been looking for in the past. I guess I'm just trying to agree with Johnny - there are still deals on the 'bay...

Johnny Kleso
01-18-2011, 9:35 PM
This seller just said "Brace" and No Discription so you had to look at image to see what it was..
It looked like a 8" but I would have been happy with a 10" for the price..

Jaws look awesome and ratchet works great both directions but I'll still clean the old grease out and re-pack it..

Josh,
I know what you mean..
I use this link and have it saved in my Favorites
http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/Carpentry-Woodworking-/13870/i.html?_armrs=1&_mdo=Collectibles&_mspp=&_pcats=4121%2C13849%2C1

Jon Toebbe
01-20-2011, 4:44 PM
I've used that trick successfully before as well ... there are still deals on the 'bay...
The Google is strong with this one. </vader>

Dan Andrews
01-21-2011, 4:52 AM
Nice brace. Isn't this the model that has the grease harden in the ratchet? I think George Langford has an article someplace that tells how to disassemble, clean and reassemble this model. Yes, I think you got a great buy and patience and vigilance are the keys to good deals on ebay.

I ask sellers a lot of questions. If I know a tool has a certain weak spot I will ask about any defects in that part of the tool. As for trying to get sellers to measure a brace correctly...good luck. I have given written instructions to sellers on how to measure a brace and still gotten wrong answers. Sellers also have no idea how to find the make and model of a brace. That actualy does help get a good price for you if you realy know and can identify what you are looking for .

You got a great deal on a 2101A 8". I would be interested to read a review of the brace as a user when you get a chance.