PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Casters

Chris Padilla
01-18-2011, 5:19 PM
So should I go Footmaster or Carrymaster? Any other brands out there?

Zambus has the Carrymaster (exclusive, I believe) while Great Lakes has the Footmaster.

Cleveland Caster seems to have the best price on Footmasters.

I think it is high time I plunk down a bit and get some nicer casters on my MM20 and FS41-Elite (16" MM J/P) and perhaps even a set for my future workbench....

Van Huskey
01-18-2011, 5:36 PM
I have always liked the Zambus casters better because they were easier to raise than the GL versions. Then I read this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157515-Zambus-Greatlakes-caster-question&highlight=caster

Now I think if I need any more I may just get the Footmaster and save money.

Chris Padilla
01-18-2011, 5:42 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Footmasters but not the nice built-in ratchet ones (quite spendy!).

Brian Cosgrove
01-18-2011, 6:01 PM
By the way, I ordered Footmasters a couple weeks ago and entered the coupon code "cm" and it knocked off 25%. I found the code on another thread. Brian

Chris Padilla
01-18-2011, 6:03 PM
Brian,

Whom did you order through to get that discount?

EDIT: THAT WOULD BE GREATLAKES

Brian Cosgrove
01-18-2011, 6:14 PM
Yes, Greatlakes

Brian

Steve Costa
01-19-2011, 8:50 PM
Today I installed the Zambus casters on my MM16. I installed them by screwing them into the leveling bosses provided by MM. I purchased the ACT-400S. I preferred these for 2 reasons: 1) like the double wheel on each caster & 2) the leveleing foot is easy to access, "once I'm on my hands & knees". My bandsaw weighs about 485 lbs, so the 220 weight per caster allows me to support up to 880lbs. I purchased these from Zambus. Below are pictures of how I did this.

The lift is accomplished by 1/2 ton hoist installed on an I-beam in the attic over the garage and comes down through a hatch in the garage ceiling.

Matt Winterowd
01-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Steve, that's great to see those in action. I have a set of the Great Lakes swivel casters with the rubber foot, and even with half the rated weight, I find them just a bit spongy. Just a couple of days ago I noticed those ACT models for the first time and thought that looked like a better design.

Steve Costa
01-20-2011, 8:16 PM
Matt,

Casters are made by Carrymaster, which has a web site. Go to zambus.com & they have a PDF catalog of the casters they carry. Key issue is to make sure you can match the threads on any casters you purchase to your machine base. Before ordering mine I went & bought a 12MM x 1.75 pitch metric bolt to make sure they would work on my MM16. Delivered, mine cost $138. The more weight they support the more expensive they get.

Steve

David Winer
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
So should I go Footmaster or Carrymaster? Any other brands out there?

Zambus has the Carrymaster (exclusive, I believe) while Great Lakes has the Footmaster.

Cleveland Caster seems to have the best price on Footmasters.

I think it is high time I plunk down a bit and get some nicer casters on my MM20 and FS41-Elite (16" MM J/P) and perhaps even a set for my future workbench....
This topic has been discussed quite a few times on this forum. Do an "advanced search," for Keyword(s): zambus; Forum: General Woodworking and Power Tools and child forums

Mike Ruggeri
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I have Zambus on my MM CU300 combo and the Great Lakes on my Laguna HD16 bandsaw. I "cheaped out" with the bandsaw as (if memory serves me right) the Zambus were a significant amount more that the Great Lakes when I was looking. As the CU300 is larger/heavier, I think the Zambus are worth the extra money as it is still easy for me to move around despite its size. For the bandsaw, I think the Great Lakes are fine and I don't regret picking the lower cost option as they work well.

As I have relatively tight shop space, moving the bandsaw is VERY easy and moving the combo isn't too bad. As a comparison, I also have the MM mobility kit for the combo and it would drive me crazy using that vs having the Zambus casters. The MM mobility kit is fine if you have lots of room to maneuver but it is terrible if you have a more confined space like me - that is where these types of casters (either brand) that allow all 4 wheels to swivel really make life more pleasant.

Mike

Chris Padilla
01-21-2011, 4:21 PM
Interesting, my MM20 does NOT have built-in threaded bosses. Perhaps it is a tad older and as such, didn't come with any? On the other hand, the FS-41 Elite does have the M12 threaded bosses.

Van Huskey
01-21-2011, 4:23 PM
Interesting, my MM20 does NOT have built-in threaded bosses. Perhaps it is a tad older and as such, didn't come with any? On the other hand, the FS-41 Elite does have the M12 threaded bosses.

Time to get a new MM24 and make it a non-issue. :)

Chris Padilla
01-21-2011, 4:38 PM
I tried that on the wife...no go. :(

Van Huskey
01-21-2011, 5:30 PM
I tried that on the wife...no go. :(

Not like you can sneak one in either...