PDA

View Full Version : Shop Logs/Journals

Kyle Kaldor
01-18-2011, 4:52 PM
I didn't find much in a search for this.

I'm wondering how many of you keep a shop log or journal of your activities. If so, what exactly do you record?

Often times I see people with projects and they say it took XX hours to build. People always ask me how long it took me to build stuff, but I have no idea, usually I just refer to my time spent on projects in months. I'd like to actually be able to say it took me 20 hours, for example.

I'm thinking about starting a log of hours spent in the shop so that I can actually see how long it took me to complete projects. Any suggestions?

Joe Zerafa
01-18-2011, 6:59 PM
Hi Kyle, I have been thinking about the same thing for a while now.

Being a hobbiest, I dont make much, but sometimes after a piece I think oh that should have been a little higher/shorter/longer. My biggest concern is if I make something similar in a couple of years, how can I ensure I dont make the same mistakes.

For a while I thought about keeping a simple scrap book, just glue in a couple of pictures and jot down some notes, but I never got around to it.

What I have done recently is I started a basic blog. Most projects I start off with a few screen shots of some sketchup drawings, I update with progress shots and finish the project with my comments. It also helps me tally the hours taken for a project.

So far I am happy with the way it helps me gather my thoughts and refine/review my plans and processes. The occasional feedback helps too ;)

So my recommendation would be to start a blog, perhaps even on this forum.
Joe Zerafa

Don Jarvie
01-18-2011, 9:30 PM
I bought a note book with graph paper to make sketches of the project and have another notebook where I "try" to keep notes. I also made some cut lists so I can list all of the pieces. I'm not that good at taking notes everyday and tend to forget.

I then can tear them all out and put them in a folder for reference. I still working on how to organize the folder.

I do want a separate notebook with the mistakes I made and things that could be done better.

Jim Finn
01-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I just keep every scrap of paper concerning a project. Material lists, sketches, etc. Keep them in file folders.
Not a log but useful to reproduce a project.

Bob Winkler
01-19-2011, 7:19 AM
Perhaps I go overboard, but I would like to think that many years from now my kids will enjoy viewing my project binder. For every project I build, I make a powerpoint presentation on archival cardstock and that includes pictures and text that explain things like wood type, finish I used, source for plans and ideas, lessons learned, etc. I put the presentation pages into transparent sheet holders that allow placement in a big binder that is entitled "My Works". The pages are protected, and I hope will be handed down long after I'm gone, because most of the projects will still be in the hands of my daughters.

Lee Schierer
01-19-2011, 8:50 AM
Since I make a dimensioned drawing for most projects I make, I try to update any dimensions I change. Yet, sometimes I forget. I do wish I had kept a log of the finishes I used on various items so that I could more easily duplicate the finish on future companion pieces or do repairs.

Brian Vaughn
01-19-2011, 7:09 PM
I tend to operate in the conceptual mode more than the building mode, and will spend weeks or months planning a project, and coming up with different designs. I tend to average 10 or more different designs before I settle on one, and then I come up with full drawings of each part, not necessarily to scale, but at least to show all dimensions. All of that info goes into my binders, which I keep up in the office. Now what I'm bad about is not updating the drawings if I have to make a change. However, typically I've put together so many drawings, that anything I change will be very minimal.

Like Lee, though, I wish I put more effort into cataloging what finishes I use, but like I said, anything that happens post building start rarely gets recorded

David Hostetler
01-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Kyle,

For me anyway, one of the reasons I participate in forums and blogging so much is to get the ideas, and info on my shop activities out of my head and in writing...

Now I also keep a small notebook in my mechanics toolbox that I jot notes about measurement, and other various stupidity that needs to be put down NOW or it will fall out of my ears... There are a lot of scribbled sketches that are just slashed through when I figure out I don't like the direction it is going, and a few good ones too!