PDA

View Full Version : Mobile DVD Library - any DVDs stalled out??

John Keeton
01-18-2011, 4:37 PM
I haven't observed much movement lately on the several DVDs that are in circulation. If you have one or more of these, please view them and get them back in circulation. We have some new folks (and some oldies!!:D) that may enjoy viewing them.

Thanks!!!

Doug W Swanson
01-18-2011, 4:48 PM
I currently have the Drozda dvd's. I hope to watch them this week and pass them on. Tim B emailed me and requested them so I will be sending them his way when I'm done.....

Mike Stephens
01-18-2011, 5:55 PM
The rules of the mobile library need to be followed. The videos are posted in a thread that they are availible and the first contributor to respond gets the dvd next. Allowing someone to e-mail you asking for the videos is not fair to others who are patiently waiting.

I contributed 1 dvd. Bill Grubmins Bowl Turning made Easy. I know John also had a copy of this in circulation. If I find out that my dvd is being passed around out of the public eye. I am going to be extremely PISSED OFF. And I would ask that it be returned.

Come on people. Be honest and do the right thing. It's the only way that this can work.

Mike

Doug W Swanson
01-18-2011, 6:30 PM
I figured it was ok since I was lucky enough to be at my computer when the Drozda dvd's were made available the last time. Tim was the second poster on the thread offering the dvd's so I thought I would be nice and send them his way when I am done.

Seems fair to me....

Mike Stephens
01-18-2011, 6:39 PM
I figured it was ok since I was lucky enough to be at my computer when the Drozda dvd's were made available the last time. Tim was the second poster on the thread offering the dvd's so I thought I would be nice and send them his way when I am done.

Seems fair to me....

Doug in order for that to be fair. You would need a list with everyone's names that wanted to borrow and send it to them in the order of the list. The system John established is a lottery. Either you are lucky and win or you don't. But everyone has a fair shot.

Mike Stephens
01-18-2011, 6:43 PM
Available to first one to respond and PM me with address per the rules.

Here are the rules:

1. Loans are restricted to Contributors of SMC, and I would expect that policy to be honored by others that may come into possession of these DVDs. If you aren't a Contributor, then pay the $6 and have an opportunity to borrow these DVDs, and others that may be available by other creekers.
2. This DVD will be marked with the owners name. While he does not ever expect them back in his possession, should the interest in borrowing these cease, he would appreciate the individual holding them at the time sending him a PM for his address and returning them.
3. The DVDs should be cared for properly so they can be shared with others.
4. I will mail the DVD or DVDs to any Contributor wanting them for viewing. That person will diligently watch them to the extent they feel it takes to absorb the material, and then the holder shall promplty post a thread similar to this one seeking another interested individual. The person shipping shall bear the cost of shipping each time the DVDs change possession.
5. This arrangement is based solely on the honor system. They have been very helpful to me, and I hope they will help others. But, that can only happen if we have honest participation in this arrangement. If it doesn't work, then it is no great loss to me economically, but it will certainly be a disappointment to me.
6. SMC is not involved in this at all, has no liability, and this entire arrangement is voluntary on my part. I accept the risk of loss of the DVDs, and in no way intend to hold the owners/administrators/moderators of SMC liable in any way in the event of loss.

John Keeton
01-18-2011, 6:45 PM
Doug, originally, the rules were these:

1. Loans are restricted to Contributors of SMC, and I would expect that policy to be honored by others that may come into possession of these DVDs. If you aren't a Contributor, then pay the $6 and have an opportunity to borrow these DVDs, and others that may be available by other creekers.
2. This DVD will be marked with the owners name. While he does not ever expect them back in his possession, should the interest in borrowing these cease, he would appreciate the individual holding them at the time sending him a PM for his address and returning them.
4. I will mail the DVD or DVDs to any Contributor wanting them for viewing. That person will diligently watch them to the extent they feel it takes to absorb the material, and then the holder shall promplty post a thread similar to this one seeking another interested individual. The person shipping shall bear the cost of shipping each time the DVDs change possession.
5. This arrangement is based solely on the honor system. They have been very helpful to me, and I hope they will help others. But, that can only happen if we have honest participation in this arrangement. If it doesn't work, then it is no great loss to me economically, but it will certainly be a disappointment to me.
6. SMC is not involved in this at all, has no liability, and this entire arrangement is voluntary on my part. I accept the risk of loss of the DVDs, and in no way intend to hold the owners/administrators/moderators of SMC liable in any way in the event of loss.

Subsequently, there was a lot of discussion and it was the general consensus that having a "waiting list" prevented new folks from having an opportunity to view them. I believe now, that the process is limited to a new thread being posted each time they are offered up, and the first post in the thread by a contributor gets the DVD.

That way, as Mike says, it is a new game each time, and new folks can have a shot.

David Stratton
01-18-2011, 6:59 PM
John, maybe I have just missed it but I have never seen a thread offering to share a DVD. Is there a specific spot these show up?

David Hullum
01-18-2011, 7:46 PM
Ya I have been waiting on the peppermill one to get release it has been with someone for a really long time.

Sid Matheny
01-18-2011, 7:54 PM
Does anyone know of any of the DVD's that has closed captioning? I can't hear well enough to understand them without CC.

Sid

John Keeton
01-18-2011, 8:20 PM
David, there was some general discussion, both with Keith, and the moderators then (I was not a mod at the time), about having a library of DVDs available for loan. For a variety of reasons, that was not feasible. At the time, I had some DVDs that I no longer had a use for, and they were put into circulation in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?138554-Videos-for-loan-the-SMC-quot-mobile-library-quot-update). Subsequently, there were others put in circulation by Mike, and perhaps one or two others. Then, I later put in circulation a couple of Drozda DVDs. There should be 8-10 of them various DVDs floating around. I had hoped creekers would not forget about them and keep them moving.

The purpose of this thread is just a reminder to folks to get them moving again.

Sid, none of these are CC, and I am not aware of any turning videos that are.

Mike Cross
01-18-2011, 9:07 PM
Thanks John for for bringing up the Mobile Library topic again. I have attempted to several times seeking the Bill Grumbine Beyond the Basic Bowl DVD as I have been watching for it since you first sent it out. I have searched and the last activity I found was on 05-26-2010. Also a good reason to not forward DVD's to email requests. No message trail here on SMC. This would ultimately allow for tracking of the DVD's when they appear to not be circulating and a friendly reminder can be sent to the person to view it and send it along. Would also be nice if there was a time limit on keeping the DVD's.

Mike

mickey cassiba
01-18-2011, 9:09 PM
The purpose of this thread is just a reminder to folks to get them moving again.

I was getting ready to ask about that very thing. Thank you Mr Keeton.

John Keeton
01-18-2011, 9:47 PM
If you hold a Mobile Library DVD and hesitate to now post them publicly, PM me and I will provide my shipping address. You can return the DVDs to me, and I will again place them in circulation without revealing the source. The intent here is to simply get them back out there.

Thanks.

Doug W Swanson
01-18-2011, 11:22 PM
I didn't figure what I was doing was going to get me flamed like this.:(

Tim was second on the thread and since he pm'd me requesting the dvd's I thought I'd send them his way. Is it really any different than posting a classified ad, having a deal fall through with the first responder and then making a deal with the second responder. Or is it better to close the ad when you get one response and then put up a new ad every time a deal falls through.

Sorry for the rambling but I'm just a little frustrated that people are overreacting about this:confused:....

John Keeton
01-19-2011, 7:03 AM
Doug, I don't think anyone is "flaming" you. And, perhaps it is just a situation where you were unaware of the circumstances that evolved on the library idea. If you committed to Tim, then you should send them to him. But, post publicly to whom the DVDs are being sent so that others know they are out there and that they can expect to see them posted again.

As you can see, there is obviously some difficulty in keeping them in circulation, and without knowing publicly where they have ended up, there is no way to run them down.

In the future, however, it would seem the rules need to be as follows, and that these rules should be posted whenever any DVD is posted for loan:

7. There will be no "waiting list", and each time the DVD is offered for loan, a new thread shall be posted, and the first contributor posting in the thread gets the DVD.

I am glad you posted about having these, and I am hopeful that whoever has the other 7-8 that are out there will post those, as well. So far, several creekers have been able to view these, and it would be a shame if others did not.

Dan Hintz
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
I was only peripherally aware that the floating DVD collection existed, but I certainly had no understanding of how to get a hold of one. I bet several of them would help me along tons...

Bill Bolen
01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I have been lucky to the point of receiving 2 of John's DVD's since the traveling collection got started. I received PM's requesting to be "next" on each set. If I had not followed the rules Doug you would not be in have them in your care now. No flaming just an urging to "follow the rules". Makes life so much easier on you and the rest of us too...Bill...

Doug W Swanson
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Sorry for not following the 'rules' to a T. I thought what I was doing was ok as long as I passed them on rather than let them gather dust at my house. Even though I have not had a chance to view them yet I will post the videos as being available when I get home this evening.

Scott Hubl
01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Is this really Legal/Ethical ? And or Fair to the Person/Turner who Produced the Video? For YOU to Learn from.

I have/own/bought about 25 or more woodturning videos, and another 15 or so general woodworking videos.

What incentive is there for the Turner/Woodworker say a Cindy Drozda, Jimmy Clewes, Richard Raffin, or Bill Grumbine to Continue to Teach you, if you just buy 1 and send it around all over? (Lets be real Honest here now, I am Betting some have even been saved to a harddrive or burned to a DVDR before being passed on.)

Support the Turners and Buy the DVD you want. They may then continue to produce them so YOU can Learn from what they have to Teach.

Sell 1 of your turnings to Pay for the DVD.

I look forward to New turning DVD's, yesterday I just Bought 7 Jimmy Clewes DVD's - Turnaround, Turn it On (3DVD Set), and Turn it Up another 3 DVD Set.

I have Richard Raffin, Bill Grumbine Alan Lacer Rex & Kip and many others turning DVD's

I have 2 Personally Signed DVD's from Cindy Drozda and am ready to buy her Finial Star DVD next. I sure would Hate for these turners to say screw it I'm not making them anymore.

Just my thoughts.

Dan Hintz
01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Scott,

I agree with your general sentiment (they worked hard to create the video and make a living from the proceeds), but I'm not sure I agree with it being a clear cut issue. How would you respond to libraries loaning out such DVDs (they do that now, have for a number of years)? Maybe not these specific DVDs, but in general only 1-2 DVDs are purchased (often at reduced "educational" fees) and loaned out to hundreds over the years.

In some ways I agree with this method... if I really like the material, I will go and purchase a copy for myself. I do the same with songs... I take a good listen to an MP3 nabbed from the net... if I like what I hear, I'll get the CD, if not, I don't bother with it anymore. A must for me in the days of pre-processed and packaged bands that may only have 1 decent song on an entire CD... very few bands have CDs where I enjoy 50% or more of the songs they publish. In some ways, one could argue this borrow method actually leads to sales that never would have been. I probably wouldn't purchase any of these video DVDs without seeing them first to ensure they are what I want.

John Keeton
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Guys, I don't want to dampen the exchange, but all of these thoughts were hashed out in the original threads. The purpose of this thread is to try to get the outstanding DVDs in circulation again. We aren't going to revisit the other issues.