PDA

View Full Version : Macworld was today...lots of cool new stuff!!!

Tim Morton
01-11-2005, 6:32 PM
a mac for $499 and an ipod for $99....plus some cool new software.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/

If you have any mac questions just ask!!! :D

Dan Mages
01-11-2005, 9:04 PM
I have seen some stuff that Apple will be putting out in the middle to the end of the year. This stuff will blow your mind. If you think the iPod Shuffle is cool. Wait till you see what is coming out next!!

Dan

Tim Morton
01-11-2005, 9:46 PM
I'm guessing you have signed a confidentiality contract with Apple?

Jim Becker
01-11-2005, 10:06 PM
The new low-cost "naked" MACs may help get more folks onto the platform. Now if the software vendors (with Apple's encouragement) could be "really nice" about switching platform licenses when they offer on both Windows and MAC, it would make it more viable for folks like me to even consider the MAC as an alternative to WinXP. I have a number of relatively expensive applications that I would not be willing to re-buy if that were required to switch. Tom Yager's Ahead of the Curve column in InfoWorld this week talked about how he has gone 100% MAC...and I've sent him off the same question to consider for a future column.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Of course that 400+ computer doesn't have the monitor or other necessary attachments to make it work. By the time you pay for those the computer is still as costly as other Apple products. I don't think they are going to be much competition for the mass market. Time will tell.

Tim Morton
01-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Now if the software vendors (with Apple's encouragement) could be "really nice" about switching platform licenses when they offer on both Windows and MAC, it would make it more viable for folks like me to even consider the MAC as an alternative to WinXP. I have a number of relatively expensive applications that I would not be willing to re-buy if that were required to switch

Good Point, I do know you can "upgrade" cross platform, but I don't think Microsoft or Adobe would be willing to comp you a mac version of "Office" or "Photoshop" if you wanted to switch to mac. i wish they would though.

Of course that 400+ computer doesn't have the monitor or other necessary attachments to make it work. By the time you pay for those the computer is still as costly as other Apple products. I don't think they are going to be much competition for the mass market. Time will tell.

Technically, if you had to go out and buy a new monitor, keyboard and mouse you would be at $700 which is close to an eMac, but I think Apple is looking for people currently using PC's that would be wiling to switch out computers and continue using their own periperials. Before today that would cost $1600 bucks for a low-end G5 tower. This is a chance to buy a real solid computer with wicked "cool" factor for a very affordable price. I think Steve feels the million iPods out there have to be plugged into something :D

Dan Mages
01-12-2005, 8:33 AM
I'm guessing you have signed a confidentiality contract with Apple?

Something like that. If I told you the details, I would have to kill you.

Dan

Bob Hovde
01-12-2005, 8:55 AM
... I have a number of relatively expensive applications that I would not be willing to re-buy if that were required to switch. ...

With the size of hard drives today, is there any reason you couldn't have several operating systems on one computer? (OS X, W-XP, Linux) Has anyone tried one of the high-end XP applications on a Mac with Virtual PC 7.0 installed? Some of our people use it to connect to our MS company server.

Bob

John Pollman
01-12-2005, 3:57 PM
Those little "Mac Minis" are pretty cool. In fact, the wife and I are considering ordering one. We had a Mac here at home for a long time and then about 3 years ago I bought a PC. Well we're thinking about letting my son have the PC and getting the new Mac. The way it works out I can use my existing USB mouse and keyboard. If we were to buy an Apple display it would be very expensive. However, I just priced out the mini with 512K of RAM instead of 256. It prices out at like $674 for the one that's a little faster with an 80Gb drive. I can pick up a 19" LCD flat screen monitor on sale for $339. That brings the total to $1013 for a pretty powerful little machine. And at 6-1/4" square and 2" high I DO mean little. ;) Haven't pulled the trigger yet but we're really thinking about it.

Tim Morton
01-12-2005, 8:09 PM
\[/QUOTE]Haven't pulled the trigger yet but we're really thinking about it.[QUOTE]

I'm thinking about waiting a few month's till it ships with Tiger on it. Thats a $150 dollar software upgrade that I would have to buy then if I ordered the mini today. I can wait that long...i think :cool:

Tim Morton
11-11-2005, 9:13 PM
Something like that. If I told you the details, I would have to kill you.

Dan

I am guessing you were talking about the nano?

my daughter sold her shuffle and bought one ...loves it...and all the kids think it is SO cool...I'm still loving my old school iPod....

so whats comign up next?:cool:

Mike Cutler
11-12-2005, 11:27 PM
With the size of hard drives today, is there any reason you couldn't have several operating systems on one computer? (OS X, W-XP, Linux) Has anyone tried one of the high-end XP applications on a Mac with Virtual PC 7.0 installed? Some of our people use it to connect to our MS company server.

Bob

Yes it's being done. I don't have the windows on my Mac's any longer. I just didn't need them. However..... One of my more nefarious friends is using two Dual G5's running Mac 8.6,9.1. OSX, jaquar, panther, Windows 95, 98, XP pro. Linux, and lord only knows what else. I don't think he quite shares Jim Becker's ethics, when it comes to the cost of replacement software.

If you were to use a Belkin KVM switch you could keep the Windows PC, and the Mac running at the same time, and swap back and forth.

Warning though. The Belkin KVM( DVI) switch will not switch an Apple Cinema display. I've tried it, and it didn't work:mad: Apparently Dr. Bott has one that will.

Walt Pater
11-13-2005, 8:41 AM
You know what I like about the Grizzly catalog? The "meat cutting bandsaw" and the sausage stuffer.

THAT'S how much i know about computers.
I like my mac, though.

Jim Becker
11-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes it's being done. I don't have the windows on my Mac's any longer. I just didn't need them. However..... One of my more nefarious friends is using two Dual G5's running Mac 8.6,9.1. OSX, jaquar, panther, Windows 95, 98, XP pro. Linux, and lord only knows what else. I don't think he quite shares Jim Becker's ethics, when it comes to the cost of replacement software..

That borders on a "serious disease"...kinda like collecting tools, umm...err....:D

(But when the software packages in question cost $400+ a pop, replacing them would seriously cut in to my tool and lumber budget, which is already about to shink big-time)

Mike Cutler
11-14-2005, 7:15 PM
That borders on a "serious disease"...kinda like collecting tools, umm...err....:D

(But when the software packages in question cost $400+ a pop, replacing them would seriously cut in to my tool and lumber budget, which is already about to shink big-time)

Hmm.. Jim. You are being most kind in regards to his ethics. What I actually meant was that he could have a supporting role in a "pirate" movie, and not be out of character. I think he would actually be one of the "ring" leaders, as in "torrent";)