PDA

View Full Version : engraving settings test template, what do you use?

Gabe Gat
01-18-2011, 3:32 PM
I'm working with some bamboo and I'm having a hard time nailing down good engraving settings. I want good detail levels, clean burn, etc. Can't seem to figure out my speed and power... as for PPI I can tell you I'm still not sure what it should be at anytime let alone this time.

What do you guys (and gals) use as graphic or methodology to run test engravings?

Dan Hintz
01-18-2011, 6:55 PM
I have a 4x4 test grid with solid boxes about 1/4" on a side. I use the 3D settings (may not be available on all systems) to set each box to a different power, starting from 1-100%. Once I know the rough range of powers I want to use (say 40-50%), I run the grid again with the range set between those values. Sometimes I may need to run more than those two grids, but typically two is enough.

Stephen Hanlon
01-19-2011, 3:27 AM
Hi Gabe....when I first started I had the exact same issues. You will soon realise that you need to create your own way of setting up settings and how you store your job history.

I have attached a couple of test grids that I use for both engraving and cutting. If you PM me I can email you the files.

I usually just run the test on power and then from the results do two or three runs adjusting both the power and speed to obtain the optimum results.

178835 178836

Mike Null
01-19-2011, 6:32 AM
I would also suggest a test using what you've found to be a suitable power, speed, dpi combination on engravers plastic, for example, using the shades of black form 100% to 10% to see other ways to vary your results. You can then try this on other materials.

Dan Hintz
01-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I would also suggest a test using what you've found to be a suitable power, speed, dpi combination on engravers plastic, for example, using the shades of black form 100% to 10% to see other ways to vary your results. You can then try this on other materials.
My original post didn't mention this, but my test grid is grayscale, not color. Again, it's not available on all machines (the cheaper Asian versions, in particular), but the 3D option allows that grayscale to correspond to power levels. Turn the 3D option off and that same test grid becomes a test of dithering. The 3D option always comes first so I know what power level I should be at, followed by the dither run (if necessary).