PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Winged Hollow Form

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2011, 2:37 PM
About a week ago I wrote a review (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content.php?130-Review-Jerry-Marcantel%E2%80%99s-Chuck-Plate) on Jerry Marcantel’s Chuck Plate and had it published on our Home Page. The wood used for that review was a Mesquite board that Jerry had included with the Chuck Plates. I had a few inquiries after the article came out, asking what it was I was turning, as only one side had been roughed out and it sure left a lot to the imagination! Well, for those who were curious, here’s the finished result.

Mesquite winged hollow form, Maple and Walnut finial dyed black, 7 ½” long x 5 ¾” wide x 4 ½” to top of finial x 1/8” thick. Sanded to 320 and has two coats of Antique Oil for a finish. This piece was intended to be somewhat rustic in nature – so not a lot of sanding and gloss was kept to a minimum.

178622 178623 178621

As always – your thoughts, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Tim Rinehart
01-18-2011, 2:40 PM
nice Steve...for some reason it reminds of old ink wells...hmmm. I do like winged vessels/bowls...this one is unique...can't say I've seen anything similar...I like it. The real beauty in it is in the first pic...probably wouldn't do it justice to see it sitting down on a table somewhere...may not have given it the second look the first pic demands.
In looking at it again, it's reminiscent of art deco lines and their use of simple but strong form.

Roger Chandler
01-18-2011, 2:49 PM
Very unique Steve! This is a great form! I like its simple lines, even carried upward in the finial. That is a form that I have not seen as of yet.........there may have been similar ones turned by some others, but I have never seen one like this.

The undercut leading to the rounded bottom is just superb, and I like the way you fitted the finial in the opening as well..............I may have to file that one away for a later idea..........unless you would prefer this be a single artist rendering?

Just fabulous! Keep 'em coming!:)

Doug W Swanson
01-18-2011, 3:03 PM
Nice job, Steve.

I like the form and the simple finial. They work well together....

steven carter
01-18-2011, 3:25 PM
Very nice Steve! To me is looks very sleek, almost like it is ready to rise on it's own.
Steve

John Keeton
01-18-2011, 3:33 PM
Steve, the finial is the finishing touch!!! I really liked this piece as it was prior to the finial, but the "complete package" has tremendous lift, and reminds one of a spire rising from an unexpected location. Very balanced, very well executed. The roundness of the bowl portion provides such a comfortable offset to the angular form. To top it all, the black against the mesquite is perfect!

bob svoboda
01-18-2011, 3:52 PM
Very nice, Steve. The whole shape is really unique and creative and the finial just tops it off perfectly.

tom martin
01-18-2011, 4:15 PM
I love it Steve! I can't decide whether I like it upside down or right side up! Looks great either way!
Tom

charlie knighton
01-18-2011, 4:28 PM
very nice, you might consider this one for symposium.....

Michael E. Thompson
01-18-2011, 4:36 PM
I really love this idea. I have been looking for something different to turn and this has certainly sparked my imagination. Makes me realize a finial doesn't have to be complex to make a statement.

Scott Hackler
01-18-2011, 4:45 PM
Very nice Steve. I like this concept a lot and a whole heartedly agree with your choice to NOT go glossy on this one. Elegant and graceful are two words that come to mind.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-18-2011, 5:11 PM
Wonderful creation Steve, very unique.

Dennis Ford
01-18-2011, 5:17 PM
A very nice piece of art.

David DeCristoforo
01-18-2011, 5:33 PM
Well, now... that is unusual! It reminds me of some of those "post modern" church buildings. It really looks "other worldly". I don't remember seeing anything quite like it before. I like it. I almost like the upside down view better! The simplicity of the finial is very fitting.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2011, 5:54 PM
WOW! - Thanks everyone! Have to admit that I am quite surprised that folks like this one but sure appreciate that they do!

There is a turner out of New Zealand by the name of Terry Scott who creates some amazing turned art! This piece is no where even close to what he does - but his influence is there! Check out Terry Scott and also Gordon Pembridge's site (http://www.timberly.co.nz/) if you want to be blown away with artful side of turning!

Josh Bowman
01-18-2011, 6:10 PM
Steve, I love it! Looks very modern? As always your skill is impressive. BTW....do you still have all you fingers?

Tim Thiebaut
01-18-2011, 6:17 PM
Thanks for posting the link to Terry and Gordons site Steve, inspirational is the first thing that comes to mind, but so is your piece make no mistake about that. Even someone that is new to turning as I am can see endless possibilitys from things like this that you and so many others here post, its just amazing.

philip labre
01-18-2011, 6:24 PM
I love it too, Steve!! It's simple elegance, which is extremely difficult to achieve. No figured wood, no embellishment, an understated finish and it works perfectly.

Michael James
01-18-2011, 6:30 PM
Very nice one there el jefe, and quite unique. As mentioned, elegance is the best descriptor I can think of, and I like that finial!;)
mj

Deane Allinson
01-18-2011, 7:28 PM
Very nice design, craftsmanship. Very nice on its on too, with out the finial.
Deane

David E Keller
01-18-2011, 7:34 PM
That's cool! I turned something kind of similar a few months back, but it found a new home before I ever got a photo of it. Yours is much nicer, so I'm glad I never took any photos:D. I love that you chose to make it a hollow form rather than just a lidded box, and the smooth transition from wings to body really adds to the sleek feel. Thanks for sharing.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Now this I like very much Steve, and yes upside down or right side up, it is a very appealing form to me, and the finial does look very nice with it, well done, as what else would I expect from you ;-))

Curt Fuller
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Steve, that's got to be one of the coolest winged things I've seen! I really like the flow in the form and the finial really sets it off. It has both an ultra modern look and a 50's retro look at the same time. Plus you've really stepped out of you comfort zone on it. I really like it!

Steve Vaughan
01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
That is a really neat looking piece. Very clean lines and very interesting to look at. Love the grain and color!

Baxter Smith
01-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Can't say I "loved it" the first time I looked at it but it is growing on me. How thick a board did you start with? (just in case it grows on me enough that I want to try something similar:)) Thanks for the link as well, interesting ideas!

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Baxter - sorry, didn't measure the board before turning it. You can see it in the article I linked to - but my best guess would be close to or slightly less than 2".

Baxter Smith
01-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks Steve. Close enough. I have a bunch of 8/4 material that may never get used for its intended purpose.:rolleyes: This would be a "round" option!

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Steve that is a work of art and I really like that finial. I do like the finish.

Norm Zax
01-19-2011, 3:33 AM
Classic form!

Bill Bolen
01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
What a fine creative imagination you have Steve! I don't believe I have seen a "hollowed board" before. Really cool and of course well done...Bill...

Jerry Marcantel
01-21-2011, 2:28 PM
About a week ago I wrote a review (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content.php?130-Review-Jerry-Marcantel%E2%80%99s-Chuck-Plate) on Jerry Marcantel’s Chuck Plate and had it published on our Home Page. The wood used for that review was a Mesquite board that Jerry had included with the Chuck Plates. I had a few inquiries after the article came out, asking what it was I was turning, as only one side had been roughed out and it sure left a lot to the imagination! Well, for those who were curious, here’s the finished result.

Mesquite winged hollow form, Maple and Walnut finial dyed black, 7 ½” long x 5 ¾” wide x 4 ½” to top of finial x 1/8” thick. Sanded to 320 and has two coats of Antique Oil for a finish. This piece was intended to be somewhat rustic in nature – so not a lot of sanding and gloss was kept to a minimum.

178622 178623 178621

As always – your thoughts, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
Hi Steve, that's a pretty unique way of utilizing a piece of fire wood or box filler.... The thickness I believe was under 1 1/2", probably more towards 1 3/8"... It was the pith cut out of a piece that was too large for one of my projects.... Steve, you done good. I love the suspended round bottom......Jerry (in Tucson)

Ron Stadler
01-21-2011, 3:00 PM
Very nice Steve, I like the idea of a winged hollow form. Looks really nice, we have a presidents challenge next month and I think its a winged bowl so I guess I better get started.

Jim Burr
01-21-2011, 3:23 PM
This is the bomb!!! But to offer a dissenting opinion...maybe I'm just used to the more formal smooth transition from form to lid. Other than that...museum piece