PDA

View Full Version : Roughed out ambrosia maple

Dick Parr
01-11-2005, 5:55 PM
Well I rough turned my first ambrosia maple bowl today. It is 5" x 8" in size. This stuff is really nice to turn but it is a little bit on the wet side. Bill stopped over today and that was one of the first things he noticed was the line up the wall. :eek:

Thanks Jim, these are going to be great looking bowls when there finished. :D

Thanks for looking

Glenn Hodges
01-11-2005, 6:12 PM
Thanks for the picture Dick, waiting for mine to arrive. I hope mine turns out as good as yours.

Tyler Howell
01-11-2005, 6:30 PM
Looking Great Dick. You got that bowl thing going on.;)

John Shuk
01-11-2005, 6:46 PM
Looks great Dick.

Jim Ketron
01-11-2005, 7:12 PM
I knew them blanks wouldn't last long in the floor:D
Very Nice Dick glad you like them!
Everyones blanks have shipped But one that I have not received payment on! so if you have paid be on the look out!:)
Jim

Steve Inniss
01-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Great piece - beautiful lines. Dick, are you going to speed up the drying or leave for finish turning? -Steve

Dick Parr
01-12-2005, 7:55 PM
Steve it is soaking in alcohol as I write this and will be finish turned on the 22nd. :D

Mark Kelly
01-12-2005, 8:14 PM
What type of container do you use to soak them in? After you soak them, what do you use to measure their weight?

Dick Parr
01-12-2005, 9:02 PM
Mark I got one of those orange 5 gal buckets with a tight seal lid from HD and I haven't weighed a blank yet. I just wait a minimum of 10 days and then turn. :D The process has worked for me so I don't get all technical with it. It is only wood, all be it some very nice wood, :p but if it works OK, if it doesn't I'll do another one. :D So far it has worked on over 20 bowls with very little movement if any after it is done.