PDA

View Full Version : Any Tormek owners upgrade to the T7?

Russell Smallwood
01-18-2011, 9:44 AM
I have an early 2000 system (without the wheel sizing guage) which has seen its share of use in the shop. Recently, I've been lusting after the T7 due to many of the small but (to a Tormek user) significant creature comforts and upgrades.

That being said, I'm trying to decide if it's just tool lust, or the improvements are really worth the $200-300 I'd pay (if I sold the old one) to upgrade.

Anybody do this? Did you find it to be worth the extra $$ and hassle?

Travis Porter
01-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I have a newer T2000 (mine has the gauge), and I have looked at the newer T7, and really, don't see much difference if any in the base unit itself. The standard sharpening tool/jig thingy (technical term) seems to be better, and I may end up getting it. Otherwise, I am not sure of the benefits.

Russell Smallwood
01-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Yes, a lot of the jigs seem to have been re-thought a little (mostly idiot-proofing it appears) but to upgrade my older Tormek to the newer jigs would probably cost close to what I could pay for a new one (with the money from selling the old). They've also increased the size of the water tub and added a little outrigger for when you sharpen planer and jointer blades (it's currently really messy). Nothing you couldn't fabricate yourself I guess. Just seems like a lot of "little" things that would make the experience even more brainless than it currently is. The older machines require a little skill to operate well. The newer ones seem to address a lot of those issues.

Paul Johnstone
01-18-2011, 2:34 PM
I think they also upgraded the shaft to stainless steel in the T7. I'm not saying it's worth the upgrade just for that, just passing along the info.

David Weaver
01-18-2011, 3:09 PM
I have an older one than the 2000, i think it just says "supergrind" on it. Works well. I hate the non-stainless shaft, and replaced it with a stainless kit - or will replace it, I've had the kit laying around for a while and it will go in the next time I change a wheel.

I also bought the micr-adjust tool rest, which wasn't too expensive, but it's handy to use.

I have no interest in buying a whole new one and taking a $600 bath unless they start making one where the big wheel pops off and you can make the leather strop wheel turn at 800 rpm.

Eddie Darby
01-18-2011, 9:20 PM
What is it that you like about the new Tormek?

Russell Smallwood
01-19-2011, 7:05 AM
Well, mostly a number of small things that seem to add up. Stainless Steel main shaft, new quick-change stone attachment (there is an available 8000 grit waterstone), Wheel guage on the front for setting the angle guide, micro adjuster, extended water bin, extension wing for the jointer/planer blade attachment, improved square jig, jig stops etc. etc.

And yes, i could upgrade my 2000 to include most of these new features but when you add up all the improvements, it's probably close to what I'd pay for a new T7 (with brand new grinding wheel) if you consider the money I'd make by selling the old unit.

Again, despite being enamored with the idea, I'm really not itching to upgrade. My question was aimed at anyone who has, and whether it was worth the money/trouble when it was all said and done.