PDA

View Full Version : HELP! It's Time For A Router Table Fence

Keith Starosta
01-18-2011, 9:03 AM
I've got an extension wing on my TS that will soon house my new insert and 3HP router. I've seen photos of the fences before, but can't seem to find a decent set of plans to build the type of fence that I can simply slip over my existing TS fence (PM 64A) and clamp in place. I've seen them with what looks like decent dust collection, and would very much like to incorporate that as well. Can any of you folks point me in the direction of some decent plans, or at a minimum...some clear photos, for reference?

Thanks very much!!

Regards,

Keith

David Helm
01-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I too am interested in the answers

chiesa dan
01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi,
i installed an Incra fence on my table saw about a year ago; i like it so much that i'm thinking about adding a router extension and a wonderfence on the TS to take advantage of that system. You would not only have a very good table saw fence and router fence with nice DC, but it's a completely different (and to me much nicer) way of setting the fences - so fast, precise, repeatable...
If you check out the videos for the wonderfence, you can see how it can even work as a jointer for thinner stock, among many other things.
I know you can make some nice things yourself, as i do too all the time, but in this case you would get a MUCH better setup...

Dave MacArthur
01-19-2011, 1:24 AM
Here is a router fence I built that worked great, which drops over the top of my biesmeyer fence. It's from 1/2 " MDF. Basically it's two strips of MDF the height of the fence, one on each side of the fence. On the left strip, I have a 1/8" piece of MDF inside between the Tfence and the outer edge of the router fence, just stapled on at the ends, and you can see the two knobs on the left that when turned in press against this flexible strip and thus hold the drop-on router fence snug on top of the T fence.

There is a top plate that goes across the two strips that hug the Tfence, and then a vertical face that is the actual "router fence". On the right side of the T fence, I box in that area to provide 90 degree and stiffness. Then right around the center portion inside there are some dividers that make the area around the bit a smaller box, for dust collection. You can see that a shop vac gets fitted into a hole drilled into this sub-box area for DC. On the front of the thing, the right side, I routed out the area around the router bit and routed the sides with a dovetail bit, then made some "face plates" that slide in there, to provide zero-clearance ability and changeout for different sized bits.

This was rock solid and I used it for 14 years with no issues, always liked it... sold it yesterday with the saw finally!

It was nice to use the Tsquare fence as the base, this thing was light and easy to store when not in use, rock solid and provided decent DC.

Gary Curtis
01-19-2011, 1:30 AM
Try the WoodHaven. They make it with special clips to mount on a wing or extension table. If you later acquire a dedicated router table, just spend $15 on new mounts and the same fence will work. They have a website with the name followed by a dot com.