PDA

View Full Version : Cook pine

Norm Zax
01-18-2011, 7:04 AM
This is an 8 inch vase made of Cook Pine (Arocaria, close cousin of the NFP), finished to 320 (lately I prefer leaving some feel of the natural wood by avoiding 400 and multiple coats). Wall thickness is approx 11/64. The tree was a relatively young one.
Patches under the eyes have a foam like substance extending from the bark quite a way in. I needed to remove another half inch of the radius to make them completely dissappear so I prefered to pluck them out and fill with slightly tinted epoxy. Photo is a bit dark, bluish and object is just a bit shinier.

John Keeton
01-18-2011, 7:36 AM
Norm, this piece has a very interesting look to it - I like it! I take it that the remainder of the diameter shows the whorl of branches? I have been tempted to do something from the NFP and try for the translucent look, but so far have resisted the temptation.

Michelle Rich
01-18-2011, 8:10 AM
Norm; it does look like NIP..any pine is hard to turn, so good job!

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Norm that is a nice looking piece. I really like it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Norm - really nice work on the vase! No evidence of tearout either - which is always a problem with soft pine!

Thomas Canfield
01-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Norm,

Nice looking. I have not turned Cooks Pine, but have done 3 pieces of NIP from Hawaii, and a small piece of NIP that came out of the Texas Valley. I would encourage anyone that can get their hands on NIP to try it. It is not like regular pine and the grain is much finer and not the coarse growth rings of normal pine. I may try to get some Cooks Pine to compare, but both are wonderful wood. I saw that flatter vessels with more end grain versus long grain were easier to make translucent, and also green (within 3 or 4 months of cutting and being sealed) so that the oil mix could displace the water also helps. I have not made one translucent yet and my wood was old, in fact the last 2 were almost dry. Still pretty wood that finishes well and the "eyes" get your attention.

Norm Zax
01-19-2011, 3:29 AM
Thanks all. Thomas is right on regarding the wood's properties. Its relatively hard, easy to turn and quite friendly overall. Make sure you get a piece with the eyes. Otherwise the surface looks subdued - half way between marble and maple. For a good comparison between Cook and Norfolk see here: http://tree-species.blogspot.com/2007/12/norfolk-island-pine-vs-cook-pine.html (main differences are bark texture and branch angle).
Norm