PDA

View Full Version : The first step to recovery is to admit that you have a problem.

johnny means
01-18-2011, 3:16 AM
While reorganizing for a shop expansion I realized my casual router usage has become a rather disturbing dependency. I didn't even realize that I had some of the multiples.

Victor Robinson
01-18-2011, 3:21 AM
It's not your fault routers multiply like bunnies.

My pair just had a baby as well. I wasn't aware they were compatible, but apparently a Hitachi and a Triton make a Porter-Cable. Who knew.

By the way, since you have both, how would you compare the Ridgid trim router to the Colt?

Van Huskey
01-18-2011, 3:26 AM
I agree it isn't your fault. Routers are one of the cheaper tools that can do a huge number of things. It is always nice to have the exact one you want for any given task also!

John M. Johnson
01-18-2011, 4:12 AM
+covet
Might I recommend Cedars-Sinai for your addiction.

Rick Fisher
01-18-2011, 4:18 AM
I like the big Elu..

Coveting..

Cary Falk
01-18-2011, 4:53 AM
There must be a problem to admit to. I see no problem.

Walter Plummer
01-18-2011, 5:38 AM
Looks bad. Sell me one or both of the Dewalt 610's.

Larry Norton
01-18-2011, 5:57 AM
And I thought I was bad with 9!!

George Sanders
01-18-2011, 6:51 AM
Gee...now I don't feel bad at all about having only four.

Larry Fox
01-18-2011, 7:42 AM
At first I looked at this picture and thought it absurd that you had so many. I then thought to myself that I - the guy who counts the router as his least favorite tool - have 4 so maybe the 12 in the picture is not so out there. :)

Brian Penning
01-18-2011, 7:42 AM
Y'know, Johnny didn't exactly/specifically come out and admit that he has a problem. lol

I though it was a neat way to avoid changing router bits -a router for every bit.

Richard Wolf
01-18-2011, 7:48 AM
Nice start to a collection.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-18-2011, 10:07 AM
You should hook them all together so you can have a 30hp router table.
Jeff :)

Ryan Hellmer
01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
In defense of this "problem" which we neither confirm nor deny, I frequently setup several of my routers for dedicated tasks on a particular project. Right now I have 4 routers, 2 shapers and a tablesaw setup to cut all the joints for my kitchen cabinet project. Makes it so nice not to have to cut one joint, change setup, cut the next ... dang, I forgot one board, redo the original setup... It looks like Johnny could even color coordinate tasks, a definite plus. I see no problem here.

Lee Schierer
01-18-2011, 12:16 PM
I'd like to have one more. I have a Freud in my table mount and it is a bit too big for many hand routing applications and making dovetails. I like to keep my Craftsman router set up to make dovetails without tuning the fit. A third would give me a router for those hand routing tasks. I guess it must be a pretty slippery slope.

Neil Brooks
01-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm getting old ... or ... something.

I got a bigger kick out of seeing johnny means' router collection picture than I would by watching the Miss America pageant.

Incidentally, I know one woodworker (on another network, as they say !) who -- last count -- has 41 of 'em.

Ayup. 41.

And THAT's a lot of routers :)

Joe Angrisani
01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I have only two routers.....

John Towns
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I have 4. My intention was to have only 2 but one of mins was giving me trouble holding a consistent depth, so I replaced it, then replaced it again. so now I have 2 new routers in their boxes, unopened. After reading this thread, perhaps I should go out and buy 2 or 3 more for good measure!

anthony arguello
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I started with a PC and a Bosch and I just bought a new PC892 AND a Ridgid...Its only four of them. I don't have a problem, I can quite whenever I want...

Jon McElwain
01-18-2011, 1:02 PM
Yes, no Festool routers is definitely a problem...

brian jodon
01-18-2011, 1:09 PM
This thread has made me realize that I need more routers. I only have 1, the thought never crossed my mind to buy multiple routers with multiple tables so i wouldnt have to waste time switching bits and checking fits. This weekend will definitely be bringing me at least 1 more router and table, if not 2.

Jerome Hanby
01-18-2011, 1:17 PM
While reorganizing for a shop expansion I realized my casual router usage has become a rather disturbing dependency. I didn't even realize that I had some of the multiples.

If I had that many routers, I wouldn't need anyplace to store bits :D

Maybe, I should say WHEN I have that many routers! And honey, if you are reading this, the moderators changed it, I never said WHEN.

Steve H Graham
01-18-2011, 2:47 PM
I don't have a problem. YOU PEOPLE are the ones with the problem!

Mike Wilkins
01-18-2011, 3:05 PM
I resemble that remark. I have 10 routers and 5 laminate trimmers. One big one dedicated to the router table and the others waiting on the sidelines waiting for the coach to put them in. Youre in good company

John Sanford
01-18-2011, 5:30 PM
Wow, I really am a piker. I only have one router, and I use my Rotozip for roundovers.

Of course, I do want at least two more routers. A big honker to live in the router table, and a true laminate trimmer (toss up between the Colt and the new DeWalt). But for now, my problem is jonesing for more routers, not finding space to stash an abundance of the beasts.

Caleb Larru
01-18-2011, 5:45 PM
I wish I had a router for every bit I owned......hmmm......maybe new router bits should come standard with a router.

Terry Welty
01-18-2011, 5:59 PM
What's your point? I don't see anything wrong...

Peter Quinn
01-18-2011, 8:12 PM
I love it. Looks like a nice family photo. But if your routers are multiplying like that better keep the shapers out for sure. I had one, then one day I looked up and I had three? And man, they take up a lot more room than the routers and are much harder to put on a shelf! I can only count seven routers presently, pretty sure I had more, perhaps one of the shapers ate some routers for breakfast? They really are dangerous. Well, I keep them separated now for their own safety. I love the variety of makes and models represented there.

Dewayne Reding
01-18-2011, 8:23 PM
It's not like you have a real problem Johnny, such as cabinet saw collecting. You don't even have all the router brands covered yet. You're still ok.

johnny means
01-18-2011, 8:29 PM
It's not like you have a real problem Johnny, such as cabinet saw collecting. You don't even have all the router brands covered yet. You're still ok.

Well, err, actually ... I might have a little bit of a problem there too:o.

mark kosse
01-18-2011, 8:32 PM
Johnny, You do have a problem...

no DW610. Get with it...

John Morrison60
01-18-2011, 9:02 PM
Without a Festool, I see no sickness.

Numbers alone don't get it.

Try again when you get to the majors.

Jonathan Link
01-18-2011, 9:51 PM
This thread has made me realize that I need more routers. I only have 1, the thought never crossed my mind to buy multiple routers with multiple tables so i wouldnt have to waste time switching bits and checking fits. This weekend will definitely be bringing me at least 1 more router and table, if not 2.

I submit to you this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?124262-Triple-Router-Table-build

Bruce Wrenn
01-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Problem, what problem? From a guy who owns 28 routers, I don't see a problem. But I also own five contractor's saws, and a uni, along with five RAS's, three CMS's (one was stolen recently), eight air compressors (also had one of these stolen recently which isn't included in the count either), three jointers, two lunch box planers and two stationary planers, a butt load of PC sanders, and have had two wives, Second wife is definitely a keeper (32+ years).

Dave MacArthur
01-19-2011, 1:50 AM
Well, as an "experienced user", how do you rate the mid-range routers Johny? I'm looking at the DW618, the PC 890, and the mid size bosch (can't remember the number, 1618?). What's your call on those?