PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova Geared Chuck

Keith Westfall
01-18-2011, 1:19 AM
Is this a good chuck? He is asking $175 - may offer less if it is worth it.

Looking to put it on an older Delta LA200. Not sure what insert he has in it presently.

Appreciate your input.

Roger Chandler
01-18-2011, 6:27 AM
Is this a good chuck? He is asking $175 - may offer less if it is worth it.

Looking to put it on an older Delta LA200. Not sure what insert he has in it presently.

Appreciate your input.

Keith,

You can get a new SuperNova2 for $149.00 some places. Check Amazon.com. I purchased another one 2 weeks ago from Woodcraft for $189.00, as the ones for $139.00 had sold out at Craft Supplies USA. If this is a used chuck, then a better price should be had, in my opinion.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Yes it is a good chuck. I got a brand new one shipped to my door for 150.

IF it has several jaws that come with it, it may be a good deal. A jaw set runs about 50 bucks, give or take, if bought seperately. The insert, if you need to buy another one, runs 25 -30 bucks or so.

Jon Nuckles
01-18-2011, 4:23 PM
I like the SN2 a lot. I'm not sure what the differences are between the SN2 and the SN, but you should check that out if it is the original and not the 2. I think Teknatool no longer makes the original SN. Even if it is the SN2, the price isn't particularly good unless it comes with more than the standard #2 jaws. I bought mine from Craft Supplies for $139 during a recent sale, and that included the #2 jaws and the necessary insert.

Roger Chandler
01-18-2011, 7:19 PM
I like the SN2 a lot. I'm not sure what the differences are between the SN2 and the SN, but you should check that out if it is the original and not the 2. I think Teknatool no longer makes the original SN. Even if it is the SN2, the price isn't particularly good unless it comes with more than the standard #2 jaws. I bought mine from Craft Supplies for $139 during a recent sale, and that included the #2 jaws and the necessary insert.

The difference in the standard supernova chuck, and the SN2 is the following: the older SN uses a key wrench with teeth on it like the Oneway stronghold. It also has an open back,where you can see the gearing. It has been a work horse for me with zero problems.........I also have 2 SN2's which I also like. They have a backing plate on them for indexing in case your lathe does not have that feature, and it uses an allen key T handle wrench for tightening. Jaws all interchange between them both, and will fit most Teknatool chucks.

Keith Westfall
01-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks everyone.

Keith