PDA

View Full Version : Plantation Shutters

Michael O'Neill
01-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Hi all,
I am very new to Sawmill Creek so please forgive me if this is not the right place to post this..... I have a bunch of plantation shutters for our new house and was hoping for some advise. I am thinking that a molder/planer with custom knives might be just the ticket for producing the louvers but would like to gather some opinions from the group. I am wanting to use a shape that would be evenly rounded on both sides kind of like an airplane wing. Are there machines out there that will produce these in one pass and if so what would you recommend.

Basswood will be the stock.....

Thanks,

Michael

Lee's Summit MO

johnny means
01-18-2011, 2:33 AM
There are machines that will machine both sides of a board in one pass. But, unless you plan on making 300 or so shutters a day for the next 20 years, it probably wouldn't be a good investment. A Williams and Hussey type molder would do it in two passes, using a v shaped cradle on the second pass. This probably would be a good investment considering the price of Plantation shutters.

BOB OLINGER
01-18-2011, 8:26 AM
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the creek. FYI, I was about in your position a couple of years ago. With tips picked up on the creek and using Norm's plans and video, I just completed about 29 interior plantation shutters all made from red oak. In addition, I have slats cut for 10-12 more from poplar in progress. FYI, I purchased a ShopFox molding machine, then got the knives made (reasonable cost in my opinion) from Tim at Customknives in VT. Making slats using the molding machine is a 2-pass process. There is a hardwood supply company in KC that will make slats for you. I will personally testify that making plantation shutters was a challenge but very rewarding. I can tell you possibly more than you want and am very willing to help with your questions. Send me a PM if you want.

Ben Abate
01-18-2011, 8:40 AM
Hello Bob,

I'd be very interested as I'm sure other here would be to if you were to elaborate on your process. If you don't mind that is. A few pictures always is a great help. I've contemplated making a few sets from time to time but always find other projects. I have a Shop Fox molder so I'm part way there.

Regards

Harry Niemann
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Rather than spending a lot of dough for a machine, you might investigate a router bit made for strip canoes. it will cut two rounded edges in one pass on a thin strip. Rockler has one in their catalog.
Part #36992.

Joe Cowan
01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
I used the router bit method and it worked well. I did one and decided, due to the painting, that I had better buy the rest and work on something that I did not have to paint.

Michael O'Neill
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks to all that replied to my post, I am looking into a machine to fab the slats and also having them milled for me..... As my project progresses ill post the pictures and always be open to suggestions....I am still a month out for a start date......

Thanks,

Michael

John Aperahama
01-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Woodline http://www.woodline.com/ has a set of router bits for plantation shutters I have had my instructions from the boss and have been doing my research. While they look tempting I will probably end up using the shaper and pwr feeder.

Brian Gumpper
01-20-2011, 9:52 PM
This has been on my dream list for years and was leaning toward the shaper idea too only because I have one and no room for a molder. Either one will work fine I'm sure. If anybody knows of a good set of instructions on the construction, other than Norms', please post.

Thanks

John Aperahama
01-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Brian woodline has a PDF instruction set on their website. How theirs compare to Norm's I do not know I have never seen his. Woodlines is very comprehensive they also sell the pins

BOB OLINGER
01-21-2011, 9:26 AM
I've not milled slats using any type of router or shaper set up. Given the number of slats needed, even for one shutter plus the amount of material being removed, in all due respect, I personally can't imagine milling slats this way. I'm not out to offend anyone or other systems, but I'd suggest searching hard for someone that has a molding machine that can help.

Brian Gumpper
01-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Bob,

Router I agree, plus I'm curious how you do them on a router table without taking your fingers off. I guess I'll have to look at the instructions, must use a jig to hold those thin strips.

As for the shaper, no different than a molding machine. Just keep shoving the boards in except head is vertical not horizontal.

In all seriousness though, I would investigate buying the slats before making them.

BOB OLINGER
01-26-2011, 8:39 AM
Hi Ben,

In response to a few pictures, I've been trying to figure out how to attach or include them in my response.
I think I got one posted; says the other 2 are too large. If anyone can help in this area, I'm open. Thanks.

:179824

Ben Abate
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Bob,

Nice job on the shutters. That's going on the list. Interior doors are in the planning/purchasing parts stage. Most of my pictures are too large also, here's what I do. when I open them up in my documents they open with windows picture gallery right? So I go to the title bar on top and click on open, then I click in paint and in paint you can resize them. Once Paint opens go to Image and then you can resize them to what ever you want. 60/70% usually works well and they appear in the post at a pretty nice size. That's how I do it quickly and easily.....I'm sure some guys have better ways of doing it but this works fast.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Ben