PDA

View Full Version : A humbling experience

Scott Hackler
01-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I just joined the AAW a week ago and tonight I wanted to thumb through the issues of their journal magazine from last year. I member of our club made a criptic puzzle box and seeing it on Saturday made me ask a bunch of questions. He meantioned that the instructions were in one of 2010's issues. So I found it after paging through all of last years issues online. AND

I discovered that I have a lot to learn. The stuff featured in the magazine was unbelieveable. Strange shapes and odd forms that I have never seen before and the most graceful and elegant standard stuff. WOW. I guess this is a sample of what I might see at the Symposium. Makes me want to go to the even even more, but makes me NOT want to take and show any of my own stuff!

charlie knighton
01-18-2011, 4:46 AM
i understand where you are, its a learning curve, everone's curve is different, enjoy your climb, displaying your work is just showing where you are, not where you are going

Bill Hensley
01-18-2011, 6:21 AM
I couldn't agree more and at this point in my life I'm content in my trudge up the curve.

Charlie, thank you for sharing the comment "displaying your work is just showing where you are, not where you are going". It's a keeper.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-18-2011, 6:26 AM
It's all about the trip, Scott. No one really arrives but some have gotten a bit further than others. As long as you are enjoying the voyage keep on moving ahead.
faust

Tim Thiebaut
01-18-2011, 6:55 AM
I feel the same way sometimes when I see some of the things that people post here, but Charlies comment makes a lot of sense, I will have to keep that in mind when viewing things from now on!

George Guadiane
01-18-2011, 8:52 AM
i understand where you are, its a learning curve, everone's curve is different, enjoy your climb, displaying your work is just showing where you are, not where you are going
Perfectly said!
I would only add that showing your work "warts and all" is a chance to get some hands on help from people you might not otherwise see.
I have almost always found turners to be polite and helpful. There are not very many swelled headed woodturners and even those will take the time to help you.
If you can hear clear unvarnished truths about where you are on the curve and solutions about how to resolve issues to get further up that curve, show your work.

The combination of turning time and critique has really helped me get better. I believe that I have gotten as much better as a turner from listening to critique (and applying the information) as I have from actual turning time.

Nathan Hawkes
01-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Scott, if it makes you feel better, after reading that tutorial on puzzle box making, my brain hurt!! I know how you feel about showing off your stuff, but its a good learning experience to do it with an open mind. I keep a few of my first turnings around for me to look at, and remember where I was a few years ago, and where my turnings are going. I also keep and share with people my mistakes and failures; not only finishing mistakes, but coring bloopers that ruined otherwise wonderful bowls.

David E Keller
01-18-2011, 7:41 PM
I know what you mean... Some of the works posted in the AAW journal and elsewhere are a bit intimidating, but some of the things I've turned recently would have been intimidating to me a year or two ago. Don't get me wrong, I can still screw up a piece of wood with the best of them, but it seems for me that there's no better learning for turning than turning.

Scott Hackler
01-18-2011, 8:21 PM
Good points. Its amazing how much, even I have noticed my skills progressing.... since starting this adventure. Sometime it feels frustrating to see the "masters" turnings and compare them to where I'm at now... but I know that in reality I am only a little over a year in. It makes me look forward to what I'll be able to create in a few more years.

Thanks again for the comments and well made points.

Marc Himes
01-18-2011, 8:51 PM
Scott, turning, for me has always been more about the journey than the finished product. To take a piece of wood and make some successful passes with the gouge and end up with pleasing a form while uncovering the beauty hidden the the wood is instantly rewarding. I even find each step rewarding after over 5 years of turning. It is still a challenge to do it right. It is still unusual to get it all right; so I keep trying and learning new things. I went to the Richmond symposium and the instant gallery was absolutely inspirational, but had many levels of talent. I hope to take something to show at the Symposium even though I have only recently started to show my work anywhere other than at club meetings. I just look forward to being a part of it and like Charlie says sharing where I am. I encourage any turner to go to the symposium if they can. It was a great experience. My wife even enjoyed it.

Marc Himes

David DeCristoforo
01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Ah, yes... I know this feeling! But we must not allow ourselves to be intimidated or threatened by the work of others. Ego is the enemy of learning. As another "newbie" I have spent countless hours looking at work I might easily imagine to be beyond my reach. But, however long the tunnel, there is always a light at the end. Keep your eye on that. I'll bet you never thought you would win a prize for your turnings after you did your first one. And yet, as I recall, you did just that not too long ago. And against some pretty sophisticated work if I remember correctly...

Scott Hackler
01-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the reminder David. :) Out of curiousity, are you going to the Symposium?

Baxter Smith
01-18-2011, 11:11 PM

One of the more memorable quotes I have read here Charlie.:)
Scott, the first time I looked at some of the pictures from last years symposium, I couldn't imagine how many of them could have been done. Still can't do them, but after a year of turning, I can begin to imagine.

Michael James
01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Nashville Cats by loving spoonful (mid 60's)

Well, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar pickers in Nashville
And they can pick more notes than the number of ants
On a Tennessee anthill
Yeah, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar cases in Nashville
And any one that unpacks his guitar could play
Twice as better than I will

I would imagine it applies to woodturners as well, but perhaps not in Nashville!

Rick Markham
01-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Ah, yes... I know this feeling! But we must not allow ourselves to be intimidated or threatened by the work of others. Ego is the enemy of learning.

That right there is pure gold! Look at most of the "masters" around, almost everyone of them is a humble, likeable person more than willing to share... it speaks volumes of what it takes to become great at nearly every skill. (I guarantee, very few of them consider their work "perfect" either)

I had the pleasure of working for a French Master Chef for many years, he offered a life lesson that applies to almost any art... (he was speaking about making a buerre blanc, or hot emulsion) "you can make it perfect thousands of times, but you will learn more from the one time you break it (the sauce) than you will from those thousand 'correct' ones combined" and he was right... for many things besides hot emulsions.

I can offer some more of his "advice" but it would probably violate the terms of service here! :D How was my French accent?:rolleyes: