PDA

View Full Version : One more new tool thread...this will be all for a while...

John A. Callaway
01-17-2011, 9:13 PM
I ordered this stuff about two weeks ago. Thanks to the snow storm in Atlanta, I got the package today.

I didnt photograph the calendar or the UHMW strips... but you dont wanna see that stuff anyway.

I have been wanting to order these things for over a year... and I finally just made my self do it...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/trainman0978/DSCN2910.jpg

Lee Valley makes really nice stuff. This plane is very well made... and I happen to find it very comfy in my left hand.

( check out my Krenov cabinet build thread over in the projects sub forum )

Dave Beauchesne
01-17-2011, 9:20 PM
John:

'' [B]This will be all for a while ''[B]

I tell my self that all the time -

Yes, LV does make nice stuff - I wish you hadn't posted the pics of the detail chisels though - - - - - - -

Enjoy !

Dave Beauchesne

Mark Baldwin III
01-17-2011, 9:35 PM
I have the 1/8" chisel from that set. It's a pretty nice little chisel.

John A. Callaway
01-17-2011, 9:52 PM
I bought the skew chisels a while back, so now I have the set of all seven. These chisels are really nice, I am thrilled to have them. I do wish they were done in A2 steel though. I had a little corner of the tip of one of skews break a while back. I just ground it down on a really course stone to re establish a fresh point and kept the same skew angle... can't even tell now.... but handy and useful tools all around.

Harlan Barnhart
01-17-2011, 10:15 PM
What uses do you find for the wide, thin chisel?

John A. Callaway
01-17-2011, 10:54 PM
nothing yet.... but I am sure something will fit the bill... it is a paring chisel... and I do alot of that with my bench chisels now...

george wilson
01-17-2011, 11:38 PM
A2 doesn't mean it couldn't break off just as readily as another metal.

Jim Koepke
01-18-2011, 1:01 AM
If that plane works anywhere near as good as it looks, take a tip from me, keep your mouth closed while you are using it.

DAMHIKT

jtk

John A. Callaway
01-18-2011, 4:39 AM
A2 doesn't mean it couldn't break off just as readily as another metal.

I thought A2 was significantly harder than 01 steel ? But then again these tools are groung at such a low angle the bevel is kinda long, and thin....

David Weaver
01-18-2011, 8:02 AM
It's the angle and supporting metal more than it is the type.

Anything with a point like that (a hard marking knife, a chisel, etc) is going to be fragile.

If you wanted something with more break resistance, I think you'd have to go to the "knife people" and ask them what they use when they want something hard that works at a low effective angle and that is also tough enough to resist breakage and chipping. I would guess if you found something else, it would be a bear to sharpen.

I also have the skews you're talking about, and have managed to ding the edges up a little using mine like a carving chisel for something. It's either the application or maybe they are a little soft. They have a nice intuitive light feel for one-handed work, though.

george wilson
01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Hard and tough are 2 different things. 01 can be just as hard as A2. There could have been an error in the hardening OR tempering process. Tempering is where you remove some of the fragile glass hardness,and make it softer,but adding toughness. A spring starts out as brittle as glass,but the hardness is reduced until the spring can be twisted without breaking.

John A. Callaway
01-18-2011, 4:03 PM
well, I was sorta digging out the inside of a half blind with it, and I shoulda been more careful with it and not been as heavy handed with it. These chisels are so light and easy in the hand, you kinda give them more use than you should. I probably should have been doing what I was doing with a full on skew bench chisel and not a detail chisel.

I still love the set, and I cant wait to incorporate them in to my work, I just have to know that the tools do have certain limitations.

george wilson
01-18-2011, 5:32 PM
Those thin chisels definitely are for paring,not digging!!:) I doubt there is anything wrong with them. They just do have limitations,like you said.

John A. Callaway
01-18-2011, 7:13 PM
yes. paring. But at the bench, I have some irwin chisels that I started with and got them super sharp and made them into good tools... but I have been buying two cherries chisels a few at a time here and there, so I have most of what I need... and what an UPGRADE from the Irwin chisels... the lightness the steel quality, the balance, the two cherries are fine tools... so I rarely reach for a blue handle any more... And then there are were just these two skew chisels there at the bench, handmade, sharp, and not rolling away ( one thing I dislike about the two cherries , they roll very well ) ... so I find myself cleaning out the bulk with the bench chisels, and using the skews ALOT... and I pushed one too far, but I like the way these things feel in the hand so much, I opted for the detail set first over buying two or three japanese style DT chisels or LN fishtails ...

But the chisel need list is getting smaller... some mortise chisels, finish buying the few more Two cherries bench chisels I need , and eventually, maybe the fish tail set from LN, after that, maybe a couple of swan neck mortise chisels.... And that should give me a full range of long blades...