PDA

View Full Version : Trim router bit selelction?

Ken Platt
01-17-2011, 8:18 PM
Folks -

For no particularly good reason, I've decided I need a trim router like the Bosch Colt. However, nearly all of my current router bits are 1/2 " shank, so I'll need some new bits. In an effort not to spend a lot on bits I won't end up using, I thought I'd ask what bits folks find they use a lot with one of these small routers. Small roundover bits are a given, but what else?

I do a wide variety of projects, from large to small. On the bench right now is a pretty good size dining table, so the first use of the new router will be the edges of this beast. OTOH, next might be a jewelry box.

I've also got some plans for some inlay work, so I know I'll want whatever bits work for that.

Woodline has an interesting set for a price that suggests the quality may be a bit iffy - but I've used their bits before and been satisfied, so perhaps they will do. The set can be seen at: http://www.woodline.com/p-1766-30-pc-professional-set.aspx.

Thoughts, recommendations? Thanks -

Ken

Jamie Buxton
01-17-2011, 8:41 PM
Straight bits, for inlay, and for hinge mortising. Small roundovers to break the edges of lumber.

Dave Gaul
01-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I've seen the woodline sets & bits get decent reviews, but sets are a waste IYAM. A set is a good way to start out and see what you'll use the most of, but since you seem past that, I would just buy what you'll need. Harvtville tool has 20% off on whiteside bits right now I think... and you get free shipping for orders over $75!

Bill Huber
01-17-2011, 11:57 PM
I am with Dave, the sets are ok but most of the time 3/4 of the bit never get used. I buy my bit as I need them, I like Eagle America, Freud and Whiteside the best for the money.

When you see a bit you need get it and get a good one.

Jerome Stanek
01-18-2011, 6:24 AM
I agree thie kits look nice but you will only use a few get good bits as you need them.

Von Bickley
01-18-2011, 8:57 AM
Ken,

The bits that I normaly use in a small router are:

Round-Over
Cove
Chamfer

lowell holmes
01-18-2011, 9:28 AM
Infinity is another option. I recently bought a 1/2" spiral upcut bit from them, it seems to be equal to the Whiteside's I normally buy.

The Bosch bits from Lowes have performed satisfactorily in my Colt.

Ken Platt
01-18-2011, 2:24 PM
Thanks folks. Ordinarily I am not a fan of the sets either, but I have to say that it always seems I need just the size or type of bit that I do not have, and that set from Woodline really looked to cover the various sizes of the common bits (rather than a bunch of different profiles) for an excellent price, assuming the bits are of decent quality. I couldn't touch this price getting individual bits, not by a long shot. Also, I've really gotten to loathe getting to a routing part of a project, figuring out what I want to do (I rarely know ahead of time, it's just not how I build), and finding I'm wishing for a different bit. I"d rather over-buy and have some sitting around - provided I didn't overspend by too much. At the very least, the set does get me a range of straights, coves, roundovers, so I'll have to think about it.

Dave, I looked at Hartville's site, and did not see any sign of a whiteside bit sale. Do you have a link perhaps? 20% could be a good deal.

Ken

Erik France
01-18-2011, 3:15 PM
I'm in the same boat as Ken. A large majority of my decent bits are 1/2" shank. I bought a colt last year during a managers special at my local Rockler. I wasn't thinking about my bit selection at the time. I've picked up a few, but I am still thinking about getting a 1/4" set. There have been many times I picked up my colt, but the profile I knew I had ended up being a 1/2". More often than not I build things as I go, especially when it comes to trim and little details. I'll look at my bit box and see what might work where.

I don't much like driving over to Woodcraft or Rockler just to pick up a bit I need now, much less mail order one. That's also money saving practice, I find it very difficult to just buy a single item. I probably should have, but it never works out that way. ;)