PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe

Brian Libby
01-17-2011, 6:28 PM
This morning I ordered my new POWERMATIC 3520B !!!!!!!
waiting with anticipation for arrival !! :D

Alan Trout
01-17-2011, 6:35 PM
Congratulations and may you have many happy hours standing next to it.

Alan

Mike Stephens
01-17-2011, 7:09 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Doug W Swanson
01-17-2011, 7:10 PM
Congratulations and may you have many happy hours standing next to it.

Alan

Don't you want to say "Have many happy hours using it?":)

Have fun with the new toy!

Alan Heffernan
01-17-2011, 7:25 PM
Congrats Brian - should be there in about a week. Good luck with gettting it off the truck and in to the shop. If you get a chance to confirm that they are bringing it on a truck with lift gate and dolly, it would be a good idea. I recently failed on that point and it became quite a deal to get it unloaded. Once it's out of the crate and assembled, you are going to be celebrating for sure.

David E Keller
01-17-2011, 7:37 PM
You'll love it... Congrats!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-17-2011, 8:07 PM
Brian, Congrats. you are going to have so much fun and spend so much more money. He...he...he!!!:D:D

John Keeton
01-17-2011, 8:09 PM
Brian, that is fantastic!! The Mustard crowd certainly is growing, and the 3520B seems to be a great lathe - enjoy!!

Josh Bowman
01-17-2011, 8:21 PM
Brain, yep....you suck! I helped a friend pick up and put one of those monsters together. I thought they were a close cousin to the Jet 1642. The guts, motor and VFD is about the same, but it seem everything else is twice as thick and heavy! You're going to love it. We met the transfer truck at a flat Lowe's parking lot and the driver, Mike and I shoved it onto my trailer. At his house, we used my engine lift to remove it and put it together. Worked like a charm. Good luck and enjoy.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/144848_lg.jpg

Baxter Smith
01-17-2011, 8:27 PM
Nice lathe Brian! Enjoy!
When I noticed one of your posts, (name and location) about a month ago, I thought of asking something but didn't.
I spent a lot of time at my Gandparents house in Dayton, just across the line from Hollis. My grandmothers sister married a Libby. "Uncle Alfred" even took me flyfishing at Sebago Lake once when we went to visit them. My father had lots of Libby cousins though I never got to know any of them. Lots of Libbys in your neck of the woods but thought I would mention it!:)

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2011, 8:48 PM
Brian - Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

dan carter
01-17-2011, 8:50 PM
Good for you. You won't regret it. Take it easy when you are setting it up, have some help lined up, and visit the mustardmonster site for some previews of setting one up. http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/ Don't forget to loosen the set screws in the faceplate before you remove it.

Jon Nuckles
01-17-2011, 9:55 PM
Don't understand all the warnings about unloading and setting it up. Of course, my shop is in a building with a loading dock, moving carts and a freight elevator; plus I had my shop mate there to help unpack, put it together and get it upright! I can second the advice about loosening the set screws before attempting to remove the faceplate, though.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Brian congrats on your new lathe. Lots of happy hours of turning.

bob svoboda
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Congratulations and welcome to Club Mustard. Will look forward to seeing it and the turnings you create with it.

Scott Hackler
01-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Congrats. I envy you for the heavy lathe and the variable speed. I would be interested to know, once you start turning on it for a while, how much you slide the headstock for "end of lathe" turning. Seems like a feature on several nicer lathes and I often wonder how many people acutally use that feature.

dan carter
01-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Again, congrats on your new lathe. I don't mean tp derail your thread, but in answer to Scotts's question re: moving the headstock, let me say it is a very good thing. I move it often, as the various products that I turn on the lathe require it. I didn't know it would be such and advantage, but it sure is. You are now one day closer to a new lathe.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-18-2011, 1:31 PM
Congrats Brian,
There is a web site devoted to 3520B owners and their machine. It has lots of useful tips for set up and use. Take a visit to: http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/
faust