PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Bowl

Cathy Schaewe
01-17-2011, 5:46 PM
This is another Christmas present I hadn't gotten around to posting. I found the downed tree in the woods and thought it had some potential - it's always fun when that turns out to be the case! 11" wide, 2 3/4" tall. Finish is polyacrylic satin, which is really why I'm posting it - because I haven't seen that finish on turnings often. I used it because I wanted something that would (hopefully) keep the maple white, rather than yellowing it.

Tim Thiebaut
01-17-2011, 6:09 PM
There is some great character in that wood what a nice find, very nice bowl Cathy.

Kieran Kammerer
01-17-2011, 6:22 PM
Very nice bowl Cathy. Love the figure. Kieran

charlie knighton
01-17-2011, 6:40 PM
very nice, nice bowl for biscuits

Bob Bergstrom
01-17-2011, 7:54 PM
Well done. Like the wood, and it is well presented by a pleasant shape and excellent craftsmanship.

David E Keller
01-17-2011, 8:00 PM
That's a good looking bowl! I love the streaks of color, the grain patterns, and the inclusions.

On the finish, are you saying that you wanted something that wouldn't turn the wood yellow or something that would keep it from darkening over time? Both? Finishes are still largely a mystery to me, so I appreciate any feedback you can give.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-17-2011, 8:01 PM
Very well done Cathy. You are turning out some nice work.:)

Josh Bowman
01-17-2011, 8:02 PM
Cathy, that's a nice looking piece of wood and bowl.

John Keeton
01-17-2011, 8:05 PM
Very well done, Cathy! Some nice color and the form is great. I am also interested in some comments on the finish - grain raising, drying time, leveling qualities, etc. Give us the scoop if you don't mind!

Michael James
01-17-2011, 8:11 PM
Well, there's another nice one! Nice form and the wood is beautiful! Keep em coming.

Cathy Schaewe
01-17-2011, 8:30 PM
Well, it didn't raise the grain at all. It's thicker than most finishes, when you initially put it on. I wanted to thin it, but after reading about it, it seemed like that wasn't a good idea. Only 3 coats - and I put them on very thin, to the extent I could. It dries so fast you have to put it on quickly. At first I thought it seemed plasticky, but I've gotten happier with it as it's cured a bit. No real issues with leveling at all.

In terms of it not darkening - I don't think you can avoid that. I was just looking for something that wouldn't yellow. Just an experiment!

We'll see what it does in a year or two -

John Keeton
01-17-2011, 8:50 PM
In terms of it not darkening - I don't think you can avoid that. I was just looking for something that wouldn't yellow. Just an experiment!

We'll see what it does in a year or two -Thanks, Cathy, for the info! And, since you have nothing else on your mind;) - you can remember to post a set of comparison pics in a couple of years!!

Baxter Smith
01-17-2011, 8:51 PM
Very nice bowl with some great features in the wood. I have quite a few spalted maple roughouts I could finish this winter. Some of the spalting is pretty far along and would soak up many coats of oil. I don't generally care for the plasticky look you refered to, but would like to keep the whites white so may be giving this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-17-2011, 9:01 PM
Lovely bowl Cathy, at first glance I thought sapwood Walnut with some heartwood, but then I thought NO, reading your post I think it is your finish that makes it look different than what we normally see, it does look nice now, wonder what the UV will do to it in time, and yes it would be nice if possible to have another look in a year or so, thanks for posting this ;-))

Fred Perreault
01-17-2011, 9:21 PM
Cathy, that is handsome. I don't necessarily dislike the yellowing from oil as much as I would sometimes rather like to preserve the lighter colors of some wood, as you mentioned. Red cedar comes to mind, and a few other woods that sometimes show a white, new wood coloration. Is the product you use applied with a brush, or can you get away with some kind of wipe on method?
Thanks...

Fred Belknap
01-17-2011, 9:50 PM
I like the bowl and the coloring. I have been doing some spoons out of maple and I didn't care for the yellowing effect so I have been just buffing them out with carnuba wax (that isn't in the spell check) . It gives them a nice feel. I might try your finish. Do you have a brand name?

Cathy Schaewe
01-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Cathy, that is handsome. I don't necessarily dislike the yellowing from oil as much as I would sometimes rather like to preserve the lighter colors of some wood, as you mentioned. Red cedar comes to mind, and a few other woods that sometimes show a white, new wood coloration. Is the product you use applied with a brush, or can you get away with some kind of wipe on method?
Thanks...
I used an old pillowcase (green, I believe, which is very important ...;):D) to wipe it on. I don't necessarily dislike the yellowing either, but in this case, wanted to try something different.
This was a gift to my best friend, so I'll just go over to her house in a few years and take another pic. . .

Cathy Schaewe
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Do you have a brand name? Minwax. The label on the can is blue, and I bought it at the big box with the blue logo.

David E Keller
01-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info on the finish. I may pick up a can of that on my next trip to finishing isle.

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Cathy that is a really nice bowl and has some great character. Nice finish. That polyacrylic is the water based finish isn't it? If it is the same stuff the first coat or two raised the grain. I am going to try some that I had left from the sons table.

Kathy Marshall
01-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Very very nice bowl and beatiful wood Cathy! There's just something about the classic bowl shape that grabs me. Every time I turn a bowl I think I'll try something different, maybe an embellishment, but when I pull it out of the chuck it ends up being that classic shape. One of these days I'll break out of the mold lol.

Steve Schlumpf
01-20-2011, 2:47 PM
Little late to the party here.... but that sure is a pretty bowl! Must be the finish or something but the wood grain reminds me of Elm! No matter - is a great looking bowl!

I tried polycrylic a few years ago when I was first starting out turning. Seemed to work OK but eventually had a problem with the inside of the can lid rusting. So - then you had to strain the finish before each use ... well, it just turned into a big headache for me and I moved on to polyurethane.

Jim Burr
01-20-2011, 4:09 PM
And a wonderful job of yanking the potential right out of the guy!! Beautiful Cathy!!