PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-650 13" Planer Spindle Nut?

Chris Wieland
01-17-2011, 5:31 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning up an ealry 80's Delta 22-650. It was loaded with surface rust with caked on grease combined with years of shavings. I didn't see it when I bought it, but it is missing one of the spindle nuts. It is number 52 in the photo. Of course, this item is now obsolete and I can't find one. I've measured all four corners and it seems to hold true to the other corners, but I'd rather find one because I'm not sure what it will do under load.

Does anyone know how to get one or have one for sale? Thanks

Bill Davis
01-17-2011, 7:08 PM
Can't say for sure if they have the part but check it out.
http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Planers-Parts-Lists_2287.aspx
I've bought parts from Mike's and have been pleased with his service.

http://www.mikestools.com/download/Delta-Parts-Lists/22-650-Model-RC-33-13-Inch-Planer-P2A.pdf has a part number so ask him.

Chris Wieland
01-19-2011, 2:25 PM
No luck wit Mike's Tools. Matter of fact I was a little dissappointed in his response. No help, just "No I have no resource" in his email response. I was hoping for a little customer help or at least interest. At least it would have built me up to buy something from him in the future. Not now!

Enough of a rant. I'm in customer support and always try and help my customers with problems, even I don't have answer.

Still looking for that spindle nut!

Chris

Josiah Bartlett
01-19-2011, 5:51 PM
You might see if you can find an apprentice machinist somewhere and see if he wants to duplicate one of the other ones you have. It should be fairly simple to machine and thread a new one out of a block of steel.

Bill Davis
01-24-2011, 3:25 AM
Chris
Sorry your experience with Mike's Tools wasn't as helpful and productive as mine have been. Then again, maybe the most helpful thing is to level with you up front so you will not be detoured in the search for a solution that will work for you

Chip Lindley
01-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Chris, perhaps a Grizzly part off their 15" planer could be made to fit. The Leadscrew Nut is part number P0453320. Not sure if the threads are same, but it won't cost much to find out. Buy something else from Griz to make their minimum shipping charge worth it.

I have both RC-33 and Chinese 15" planers. When I get things warmed up I will try to measure the lead screws of both to see if they match. If no match, having a part made would be a very rudimentary process. If you can rough out the part, and predrill the hole, a machine shop will only have to tap the Acme threads. That should not be too awfully expensive, especially if you can catch a young machinist on his lunch hour and offer him $20 to do it in his spare time.