PDA

View Full Version : Big bad jointer in Pennsylvania on Ebay

John Shuk
01-11-2005, 12:23 PM
I figured someone from that neck of the woods would be interested in this Jointer. It is a Yates American 12" jointer 3hp 3phase. It looks in good shape. Seller says he thinks the switch is bad but can't rule out motor. The auction ends today January 11. I've been drooling and the bid is at $315.00. It just isn't practical for me to go for it right now but if the price is right it will make someone very happy I bet. I would change the motor out and let the F-16s start landing right in the garage. I can dream can't I?
Since I can't post the link here The auction is Item# 3865201591 or type Jointer Yates American in the search it will come up. There is a similar machine in Bath, MI item# 3865346231 . I have no affiliation with these auctions. After taking a class and using a big old Oliver jointer I can't stop thinking about these big old Cast Iron flight decks.

Boyd Gathwright
01-11-2005, 5:56 PM
Hay John,

.... As close as you are paying attention I would like to see you get one!! How much is the shipping on those :eek: :D :(?

Boyd

John Shuk
01-11-2005, 6:42 PM
It would be local pickup only so Pa would be the only one feasable for me. I'd love it but I have a basement shop, Just got a Unisaw, and sub 1K is the only way for me to do it. I do want it though I am mighty tempted.

Charles McKinley
01-12-2005, 1:13 AM
Hi John,

Is it direct drive or belt? If it is direct drive getting a new motor might be a bit of a challenge. I agree geting it into a basement would be a problem.

Happy hunting.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-12-2005, 7:53 AM
Wouldn't it be easy enough to rule out the switch, and just bypass it. Whenever I see in an auction that something doesn't run I am a little leary. Especially when the seller says it is most likely something very simple and cheap to replace (yet they haven't done it) and then goes on to say but I can't rule out something very expensive to replace. Finally this is a big bad tool... it should have a bigger description....

I would be very interested in it if it was near me, but I would be contacting the seller to see if I could replace the switch before delivery.

John Shuk
01-12-2005, 10:39 AM
I bought it for $610.00 I hope I know what I'm getting myself into. It was sort of what I thought an outrageously low bid and I thought it would get shot down. Now I gotta get it. Oh boy what is LOML gonna say?

Ted Shrader
01-12-2005, 11:09 AM
John -

COOL! Congratulations. Pictures, descriptions its rehabilitation are coming, right?

Ted

John Shuk
01-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Check out the other thread. Title is Oh no I won.