PDA

View Full Version : Some coring results...

Fred Perreault
01-17-2011, 3:49 PM
I have been dubbing with my new McNaughton System the past few days, when I wasn't beachcombing. I cored a somewhat spalted (nearly rotten..) red maple, and a semi-dry cherry burl. The cherry burl was not great on the outside, so I only got to save and use the inner core. I chose to not challenge the maple nor myself, so I only got two bowls out of the blank. Maybe more cores per blank some time soon.
I have purchased and studied both Mike Mahoney's and Reed Gray's McNaughton videos. I feel that MM's video is more of a marketing effort, and Reed Gray's video is a very useful instructional video. I also believe that there are coring systems that are easier to master than the McNaughton, but are probably less versatile

the large maple is 13+", the small core 9+", and the NE cherry is 10"

John Keeton
01-17-2011, 4:01 PM
Nice work, Fred!! I really, really like that cherry burl!

Cathy Schaewe
01-17-2011, 5:49 PM
Nice work, Fred!! I really, really like that cherry burl!

Me too! Did you find that on the beach too?;)

Doug W Swanson
01-17-2011, 6:13 PM
I like them both but you can't beat cherry!

Josh Bowman
01-17-2011, 8:09 PM
Great work Fred. If I can ever get the basement finished for my wife and daughter, maybe I can find my way back to the shop.:eek:

Fred Perreault
01-17-2011, 9:03 PM
The cherry burl is one of several that I was able to get off of a new house lot nearby last Spring that was being cleared. Interestingly, a number of the trees that they saved around the house have been toppled in the last two very heavy, wet snow/wind storms (and they have some burls... :) ). Probably the same storms that produced my recent find on the outer beach. The maple is part of a stash of logs that I have in the backyard.... some up on skids, and some laying on the ground. I have a humongous pile of sawn and sealed blanks in a semi-heated (??) garage that used to be for cars, but I think that because of the sheer volume of wood, I disrespect my wood too much, and then I pout and express dismay when it's gone soft or split. :(

Baxter Smith
01-17-2011, 9:23 PM
Nice work on the coring. I would love to try out the Mcnaughton sometime. Glad you have plenty of wood to practice on. Thats probably the key to learning to use it well.

Harry Robinette
01-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Fred
Looks like you got it working,like I said Reed's dvd is really worth the money,the laser I built helps also if you wont to know about the laser PM me.
harry

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Nice work Fred. I do like the cherry burl.