PDA

View Full Version : Cedar/Cherry Pedestal HF

steven carter
01-17-2011, 2:05 PM
My MIL used to live next door to us before entering a nursing home and had 3 cedar trees, one of which was struck by lightning and had to come down. My wife wanted a HF made from it, so I gave it a try. After rough hollowing, and drying, it became very cracked. No problem I thought, I'll just fill in the cracks and see how it goes. It went alright... right off the lathe when I hollowed through the bottom. The fun of hand hollowing! Not being the kind to give up (even when I probably should), I decided to make a pedestal for it. The cracks were filled with both sanding dust and brass. The result ended up 11" tall and 5" in diameter. The finial slims down to .10" which may not be very thin for some, but is my thinnest yet. I made a Drozda style vortex tool which really helped with the transition from the point to the shaft, and also the gap under the bulb. The finial is 4" tall. I think it will look a little better when the cherry darkens more, right now not too much contrast. I decided to make the globe a lot more glossy than the pedestal and finial in hopes it would give some visual difference in the mean time, plus LOML likes cedar to be shiny. It ended up with a small gap between the collar and the globe which I don't like, but it is what it is. These HF's are addicting, I think I may need a hollowing system sooner than I thought, a laser would have come in handy on this one.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcomed.

Steve

Baxter Smith
01-17-2011, 9:49 PM
Nice job on the hollowform. Never would have thought of that wood combo but I like it. Hollowing doesn't always go quite the way you plan but you got it done. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes the tool is cutting just so well you kind of hate to stop and check. Mistake!:eek:

John Keeton
01-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Steve, you have used a different combo as Baxter noted. Both the cedar and the cherry will darken and the outcome would be interesting to see some before/after pics! Nice work on the finial detailing. Somewhat different form on the pedestal - the increased mass gives the piece somewhat of a Middle Eastern look IMO.

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2011, 11:10 PM
I do like that wood combo. As John said it will darken and should be really pretty. Well done.