PDA

View Full Version : After The Boil - Phase !

Christopher K. Hartley
01-17-2011, 1:53 PM
About two and one half weeks ago I put two big Sweet-Gum bowls into the boiling barrel. The process of the boiling and the natural dyes of this piece of wood turned the bowls purple.
178450 I was thinking of trying to keep the color but it would probably just sand away anyway. Not to worry as it turns out easily on the second turn. I had mis-quoted the size of these on a previous post but they are still big. They were turned to about 1" thick and after boiling there was very minor warping mostly in the rim. I'll be turning this bowl outboard so the first thing was to re-turn the rim where the steady rest wheels contact the bowl.
178455The next step was to clean up the center of the bowl and reveal what the color and grain looks like. A number of turners have shied away from boiling because of the way boiling changes the color of the bowl. Some even think it washes the wood out and ruins the color. That just is not true. Once you second turn the color returns as beautiful as ever.
178454 Since this boil I have upgraded my boiling barrel by cutting down the basket and adding a lid to hold in the heat and save propane.:)

Nate Davey
01-17-2011, 2:11 PM
That would be nice to keep the purple. Great bowl and looks like the shop foreman is pretty happy too.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-17-2011, 2:44 PM
Thanks for showing Christopher, good looking bowl so far, I would assume that your boiling pot is steel and that this might have something to do with the coloration you got on the outside of the wood, looks need actually.
It is for the large amount of energy that is needed that I don't like to do the boiling, but it is a very good way to reduce woods splitting and checking tendency in those woods that are prone to split :-))

Roger Chandler
01-17-2011, 4:04 PM
Christopher,

Thanks for sharing this process.........it is good to get information like this. That is a pretty substantial steady rest that you've got there........did you fabricate it yourself? Oh yeah, that little mini that you're turning on ain't too shabby either :D

Nice bowl going there..........I look forward to your post when you've gotten it finished. I have a few pieces of red gum, and have not gotten into them yet, so this will be a preview for me!

Salvatore Buscemi
01-17-2011, 4:33 PM
What a timely post for me, I just picked up some sweetgum, and am anxious to see how it turns.

Sal

Bill Edwards(2)
01-17-2011, 4:45 PM
Wow! You have an asistant. :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
01-17-2011, 8:59 PM
That would be nice to keep the purple. Great bowl and looks like the shop foreman is pretty happy too.Thanks Nate. Ya, he is a happy boy but what a slave driver!!

Thanks for showing Christopher, good looking bowl so far, I would assume that your boiling pot is steel and that this might have something to do with the coloration you got on the outside of the wood, looks need actually.
It is for the large amount of energy that is needed that I don't like to do the boiling, but it is a very good way to reduce woods splitting and checking tendency in those woods that are prone to split :-))Thanks Leo, the pot is steel but does not create this color on other boils. It was definitely the wood. Yes the fuel is a cost but when I weigh the results and cost of DNA it is a wash. If one lives out of the city and can use the log cut-offs for the fuel then it is cheap.

Christopher,

Thanks for sharing this process.........it is good to get information like this. That is a pretty substantial steady rest that you've got there........did you fabricate it yourself? Oh yeah, that little mini that you're turning on ain't too shabby either :D

Nice bowl going there..........I look forward to your post when you've gotten it finished. I have a few pieces of red gum, and have not gotten into them yet, so this will be a preview for me!Thanks Roger, the steady rest is a Robust and very substantial. I have no experience with Red Gum but would like to see what you are able to do with it.

What a timely post for me, I just picked up some sweetgum, and am anxious to see how it turns.

SalSalvatore, Glad it worked for you, hope to see your creation.

Wow! You have an assistant. :cool:
Assistant my foot! He's the Boss!

Baxter Smith
01-17-2011, 9:38 PM
Interesting color for sure! Looking forward to seeing it with finish on it!

Cathy Schaewe
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I've been watching your boiling threads - I may have to give that a try. Are you willing to post a pic of the modified barrel and basket?

Harry Robinette
01-17-2011, 10:55 PM
I'd like to see your setup also,I mite give it a try in the spring.
Harry

Bernie Weishapl
01-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Great looking bowl Chris and it would have been nice to keep the purple. Yep the shop forum looks like a happy camper.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-18-2011, 6:09 AM
I've been watching your boiling threads - I may have to give that a try. Are you willing to post a pic of the modified barrel and basket?
I'd like to see your setup also,I mite give it a try in the spring. HarryCathy and Harry, I will take pictures today and post them in a new thread showing all the parts. Hope it helps you.

Interesting color for sure! Looking forward to seeing it with finish on it!
Thanks Baxter, I'll be posting more on this bowl as I go.

Great looking bowl Chris and it would have been nice to keep the purple. Yep the shop forum looks like a happy camper.Thanks Bernie, I have been considering trying some dye work but haven't yet gathered the courage as yet. You know, us old guys can be a bit slow when it comes to trying new things.