PDA

View Full Version : OT-Plumbing question/problem

Chuck Wintle
01-17-2011, 9:51 AM
lately the pull-out knob for the shower in my bathroom has become very hard to pull-out or push back in. Is there some way of lubricating/freeing it up? I thought of spraying wd 40 behind the escutheon plate. thx.

Shawn Pixley
01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Try spraying LimeAway or CLR in the mechanism. I think that they are Phosphoric or acetic acid, so don't breathe the stuff. Our bathroom faucets get stiff with hard water and soap residue.

Chuck Wintle
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I forgot to mention this is the type with the knob that goes through the wall and is not directly on the faucet.

Dan Hintz
01-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Shut off the water and pull out the cartridge. Clean with CLR (or similar), Replace the cartridge, if necessary. 95% of the time it's just a worn out cartridge, easy to fix.

Bill Huber
01-17-2011, 1:03 PM
You could call Mike Holmes from Holmes on Homes, he would come in and take down all the wall in the bathroom, update the HVAC system, redo the wiring and spray foam every inch of the house.

But with that said I would just as Dan and Shawn, that should take care of the problem.

Peter Stahl
01-17-2011, 2:51 PM
Sounds good Bill. Does he come down to the States? lol.

Chuck Wintle
01-17-2011, 4:41 PM
You could call Mike Holmes from Holmes on Homes, he would come in and take down all the wall in the bathroom, update the HVAC system, redo the wiring and spray foam every inch of the house.

But with that said I would just as Dan and Shawn, that should take care of the problem.

It should be ok without mike holmes just to change a shower cartridge. but then again....